• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 virstens

virstens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

i have been a user of roots magic for a number of years.  i have been compiling family data, pictures and stories for years.  i am still working on getting all i have in place. i have been looking at webinars and learning how to use all the features and still have much to learn.   My question may seem simple to most everyone else but stumps me..  At sometime i will want to share this with my relatives.  So do i just print this out someway? create a share CD?  I just don't know what to do will all my info..i know the simple answer is "anything i want to do with it"  is there a webinar or link with ideas i can look at to see what will work for me..or what others have done to share there family history.. Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated..

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

A few years ago, I decided to use the RM Publisher as my means of sharing data with family. One of the main attractions of this method, to me, is that I can define an organizational outline of the Publisher Book that be easily updated, without having to worry much about the many details in the data collected. Just as importantly, the book is always as up-to-date as my database.

Because the Publisher Book cannot include multiple photos for each person within the narrative chapters, I started including Scrapbook chapters so that I could share image files with my readers. But, it soon became obvious that I was generating as many pages of media as the accompanying narratives. And that was making my reports intimidatingly long for readers.

So, now I produce two separate books for each project: 1 - the narrative reports; and 2 - the media Scrapbook. I've described how I do this in other posts, so I'm not going to elaborate here....

#3 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

For family reunions, I used to make a journal report of the appropriate lines. Now I would make a GedSite CD or USB flash drive to give to people. It's simple to use and navigate and difficult to pirate. I normally don't include sources but If I'm working with someone on data, I make them a journal report or GEDCOM with sources.

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:07 AM

I have not found the narrative reports produced by RM (or other software) very popular with relatives, except perhaps those with no computer. I find charts are by far the most popular item at family gatherings, usually with my laptop as backup to add more info as needed, I am often asked for copies and usually supply as a pdf via email if I can.

For circulation, I use much the same approach as Jim Byram above - CD / USB stick / cloud - I've not used GedSite but similar software and I include 'extra files' where I can,  peoples memories, transcribed diaries / newspaper clippings etc etc accessed via an html index.