3 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

RM7 Mac is much less friendly than RM7 for PC to users of the keyboard, especially persons entering many records in a day. Add a source and in PC version Alt+O closes the box, but with my Mac I have to hit the Tab key like six times, then to close the edit-person screen I have to hit the tab key ten times before hitting enter. Alt+O brings up a menu dialog box instead. This means using the mouse, which is a hassle.

#2 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:05 AM

Substitute the use of the Mac CMD Key for Windows ALT.

Remember,  no matter what underpinning front end software is being used to run RM7 on a Mac it is still creating a vitualized Windows system on your Mac using WINE.  It still is what it is: Windows Software.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows Tendencies"

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

User education in the use of keyboard shortcuts can help, but I would suggest that RM4 through RM7 is not as user friendly for users of the keyboard as was RM1 through RM3, and RM1 through RM3 was not as user friendly for users of the keyboard as was Family Origins. There has been a drop off in user friendliness for users of the keyboard through the years, even for PC users. I can't speak as a Mac user.

I would hope that RM8 will be much more user friendly for users of the keyboard. A good way to test this would be for the developers (and later for beta testers) to use RM8 without a mouse or other pointing device such as a touch pad and see what happens. I know that with RM7, it's not very pretty.

Jerry

#4 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:09 PM

An excellent way to test any consumer software is to go to a day labor pool and have a private chat with the dispatcher. Then announce that you need all the people who know anything about computers to approach the desk. Then announce that all the remaining people are hired for this one-day job testing software against the instruction book. See where they get stuck.