• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lkoehler46

lkoehler46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:47 AM

"Male" and "Female" don't seem to be enough anymore, with flexible gendering, to define sex . I have a female by birth certificate who is self-identifying as male. There is no category beyond "male", "female" and "unknown". What are others doing in similar situations? 

#2 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

I just encountered this as well.  I'm not really sure how to handle it.  This person feels mis-gendered and wants to have operations etc. 

Do you record the gender they were born with?  The one they feel in their heart?  Or wait until hormones and operations have changed the genitals? 

This is too complex for a single letter flag, though that is a start.  

It will definitely require a bit more explanation for the family and future generations to understand.

I haven't recorded anything yet as I'm the only person in the family who knows about it and this individual isn't ready to have that conversation.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8121 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

If they won't be offended to badly I would mark them "Unknown" for now. Then when programs and websites catch up with society you can search for everyone marked "Unknown" and use whatever solution the industry settles on. The issue genealogy software programmers are having is that there is no way to transfer other sex options using the current GEDCOM standard, or through websites APIs.

If they are offended then I would simply ask them how they would like you to record it. Then add notes as needed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Dave in New Brunswick

Dave in New Brunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Everybody gets listed with their BIRTH Name, Date, Place and SEX.  It doesn't matter if a name changes for marriage, or Pen Name Etc.. Birth details remain the same. If a person opts to gender identify differently, it happens well after birth, and does not change that fact.  I am a Celiac.. genetic...yup, others are predisposed to thousands of other things, including gender identity and gays.  Does everyone with a genetic predisposition to something want it as a fact in somebody's Family Tree, I think not. I personally would use a Misc. note and Privitaise it, unless instructed by the individual.

#5 skadera

skadera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

For the very few that think they should have been the other sex, life does not always deal us a hand that we want.  I always wanted to be rich and successful but it wasn't meant to be.  There are but TWO sexes, that's all.  Some people want to be the King or Queen of England, but they're NOT!  There is MALE, or FEMALE.  Whatever the good Lord dealt you at birth is what you are.  Sex is a physical state, not a fad or a dream.