• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

I've been syncing my tree with Ancestry but would like to make some significant changes.  I can download an Ancestry.com gedcom and reupload it and still have the source information correct.  If I import this Gedcom into Rootsmagic and then export it -- the sources are no longer the same.   The Census data links (residences) are the most obvious issue but anything with media links will be affected.   I'd like to use Rootsmagic to prune some branches from the tree that didn't work out for one reason or another  but selective exporting to Gedcom and reimporting is the suggested way of doing this.  

Are there any tools that might allow for easy editing of the Ancestry Gedcom without modifying the sources links.  I've been slowly moving everything over to Familysearch too but the only way of downloading sources there is one source at a time.  If there isn't an easy way of dealing with this, I'm considering just starting over on Ancestry with a trimmed down file and just forget about Ancestry media sources.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:11 AM

First you want to make sure you are not using an Ancestry GEDCOM. That does not contain media. If you use TreeShare for Ancestry in RootsMagic it will download the Ancestry tree with all its media. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

I've been syncing my tree with Ancestry 

... meaning you are using TreeShare and cannot accomplish the pruning you want to do so you are trying the GEDCOM approach?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

Treesync works fine -- It downloads the media files from Ancestry.  The problem lies with cleaning up the databases.  If I want to delete an ancestor and everything above him in the tree, there is no good mechanism for that in either Rootsmagic or Ancestry.   The way to do it in Rootsmagic appears to be via the selection process for Gedcom export and then I can import that into a new database.   Well, it's a new database and isn't linked to the old via Treesync.    It's a Gedcom so there's no media attached to it.        What I really need is a way of modifying the Ancestry Gedcom files because I can export those and reimport them if the source links aren't modified.  Rootsmagic will not export the same Gedcom source links that it imports --- they become unrecognizable to Ancestry.com.  The pointers no longer point to the media and Ancestry treats them as external sources -- not Ancestry sources.  So, if I want to do mass deletions in Ancestry -- it has to be done one at a time and resynched to Rootsmagic. 

If there's not a tool out there to do this, it would be easier for me to basically start over at Ancestry with a new tree produced via Rootsmagic with no Ancestry sources and then to recreate the sources at Ancestry.     I've got more entries that I want to delete than I want to keep.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

You can use drag n drop into a new database to get the same people you selected in a GEDCOM. It will have the media links. The link to the Ancestry Tree is preserved in drag n drop. You would need to disconnect it from the Ancestry Tree under Tools>File Options>Ancestry before trying to upload again.  If you want to delete specific sources before hand go to Lists>Source List to delete them. 

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:24 AM

My Rootsmagic database is horribly out of sync with what's in Ancestry at the moment. I've got between 600-700 people with changes according to the TreeShare sync.  Each person probably averages between 5-10 entries that need updating.  It's basically a terrible chore that I dread doing.   I suspect that 90+% of the changes are from Ancestry.   Is there anyway of just grabbing everything from Ancestry with the clicking?    If I were to backup my existing database and create a new one and attach it to Ancestry, all of my data would come over for a person but that still means clicking on every individual telling Rootsmagic to add it.   In my case, that's about 20K people which is more of a chore than the existing sync.   Is there any way to tell Rootsmagic to just accept everything without all of the clicking?

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

There is no means to bulk accept changes in either direction. You coul start a new database and TreeShare download to it your Ancestry Tree. Then you could try RM File Compare to find and resolve the differences between this new database and the current one. Whether it would be less labourious depends...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Doesn't the Treeshare download require you to add each and every person -- ie 20K in this case

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Doesn't the Treeshare download require you to add each and every person -- ie 20K in this case

Not on the initial download. The manual sync process takes over for any changes after the initial download.

Jerry

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:18 PM

I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but if you have to many individuals that are not linked it won't open TreeShare to compare. 

If I only have one person linked I couldn't get my 15,000+ db to connect. In my 1036 db it would connect.

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Well, this is my current plan.  One of my issues is that I have data in my Rootsmagic database from way before online census records were a thing and the records that I have are potentially error prone and obsolete now.  They're also recorded as facts rather than residence sources.   I'm systematically wiping any traces of them from Ancestry in favor of links to their census images.   There are approximately 2300 records with this issue.  I'm also adding some other Ancestry data if available and deleting non-ancestry records where it's redundant.   I'll then archive my current Rootsmagic database, unlink it from Ancestry, and let Ancestry populate a completely new Rootsmagic database.   This will get Ancestry and Rootsmagic in sync again.  If I lose something critical, I still have the Rootsmagic archive.  I'm looking at Rootsmagic as more of a backup of the Ancestry database with better tools/reporting but will just do the changes on Ancestry so it will always be a one-way sync back to Rootsmagic.   If I part ways with Ancestry in the future, I still have a complete copy of everything that's been done in Rootsmagic.