• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

I did an import of X number of generations and Y descendants and noticed some individuals didn't transfer that were within the range.  Is this common if trying to do more than 4 generations?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8368 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

It depends on what your expectation were. The number of descendants is only for the start person. It won't go up the Ancestral line and then down that number of generations for each of them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

That explains it.  I was hoping to be able to go down a couple generations at each level. 

#4 Carson

Carson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

Followup question would be -- how can I grab information from FSFT and import into Rootsmagic without creating duplicates?   The only imports that I've done into Rootsmagic have been into completely new databases so duplicates were not a concern.     If I grab X number of generations back and create a database and then go to a couple generations up to an individual and grab descendants, can I do so without duplicating the people that were grabbed as direct ancestors?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8368 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

You will want to continue importing into new blank databases. Then trim those trees before drag and dropping into your main database. Select the option to include everyone in that tree, not the database.

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic