Photo

Edit Source - Loses formatting in Source Text.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PatJ

PatJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:44 AM

I have many sources that are taken from FindMyPast and the transcript records saved as RTF files and these contain tables. 

I then create a source for each of these and in the Source Text I can open and import my RTF file. I do this and it looks great with nicely laid out tables.

However as soon as I save it and come back and open it to edit again all my lovely formatting is lost and the table just becomes one long line of text all run together.
It remains lost when I print a source report and just looks a mess.

Please can this be fixed or how can I keep my formatting?

I haven't tried it in other fields (Detail Text etc.) but assume it is the same.

Also I'd like the secondary repository shown below the primary one on the citation screen right hand column. It shows on the report but not the source editing screen.

I tried saving my file as a web page (.htm) but this just imported with all the markup and was a bigger mess!

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

RM's notes do not support rich text formatting, whether they be fact notes or source notes. The only formatting supported  is for bold, italics, and underscore. RM does not even support fonts on a note by note basis, let alone tables. The ability to store and print tables such as census transcriptions is a major need that RM does not meet.

The only way to retain the formatting is to link rich formatted documents such as RTF and DOCX files into RM as files, not as images. You can open the files from RM (RM opens them with the Windows specified app for the file extension) and therefore you can look at the files yourself. But you cannot include such files in RM reports unless RM outputs the reports to RTF files and you manually edit the RTF files to include the formatted data.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8108 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

Fixed width fonts will help give a table or column look.

Under Tools>Program Options>Display>Note editor font set to Consolas, size 9 so you can always see them in columns in the note fields, while working in RootsMagic. Then in the reports you only need to adjust the source fonts in the Endnotes or Source Detail Text on the Research Notes.
Used the same size font in the notes as for printing to have them come out right.  Use spaces instead of tabs with the fixed width fonts so you don't have to use Notepad.

Examples of monospaced fonts include Courier, Courier New, Lucida Console, Monaco, and Consolas.

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

Fixed width fonts will help give a table or column look.

I tend to forget about fixed width fonts as an option for dealing with this problem. Much thanks for the reminder.

One issue I have in this regard is that my census transcriptions more typically appear as fact notes than as citation notes. I would be willing for citations to appear in a fixed width font, but probably not for my whole report. Of course this thread is talking about citation notes.

Within the world of fixed width fonts, I personally much prefer Consolas. I think it looks much more professional than any of the alternatives.

Jerry