4 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:57 PM

As part of a PC cleanup, I recently relocated my RM media folder to a different directory on my PC, changed the folder selection in RM tools, ran the media directory relink process, and then deleted the old media directory folder. All seemed fine and my RM tree media now show the new links. However, after I did this I started noticing that when I import new media from Ancestry using TreeShare or WebHints the new media file is saved to my old directory folder. Apparently either RM or Ancestry recreated the old directory folder and then filed the new media files in that folder. I moved the new files to my new media directory folder and then I deleted the old folder again. Once again, after importing a new media file from Ancestry, the old name media folder was recreated again and the new files were saved there???

What am I missing?   :unsure:

Any help appreciated

Rick

RickL

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:08 PM

TreeShare ignores RM's normal folder settings and places media files downloaded from ancestry all in the same media folder which is separate from your other folders. TreeShare also assigns rather meaningless names to media files it downloads. Your only choices are to accept the way TreeShare does it, to follow behind TreeShare and move the files where you want them and possibly rename them, or to download media files from ancestry manually and without the assistance of TreeShare. In other words, that's the way TreeShare works.

Jerry

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

TreeShare ignores RM's normal folder settings and places media files downloaded from ancestry all in the same media folder which is separate from your other folders. TreeShare also assigns rather meaningless names to media files it downloads. Your only choices are to accept the way TreeShare does it, to follow behind TreeShare and move the files where you want them and possibly rename them, or to download media files from ancestry manually and without the assistance of TreeShare. In other words, that's the way TreeShare works.

Jerry

OK, I get the naming issue, have been working that one for a while and I have a process worked out to rename as needed. However, I've never found that TreeShare places media into a separate folder before. The files were always placed in the folder I had specified in my RM settings.....until recently....

Now, my RM link for a newly added media file points to the RM media folder, but the media shows a broken link and says the media file can not be found. When I search my PC for the file name, I find it in a different folder, as you have described.

This might not be a bad thing because it would sort of make a list of media files that need to be renamed, and then moved to the RM Media folder. I'll have to think about that one for a while.

Is there a place in RM, TreeShare, WebHints that tells you the path to this "Ancestry media file"?

Thanks for the feedback

Rick

RickL

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Is there a place in RM, TreeShare, WebHints that tells you the path to this "Ancestry media file"?

It is a sub-folder of the folder where your TreeShared database is with the same name as the database (sans .rmgc extension) appended by "_media". For example, "Vardy-Skinner_media" for the Vardy-Skinner.rmgc database as explained in the Help topic "Ancestry WebHints".

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

It is a sub-folder of the folder where your TreeShared database is with the same name as the database (sans .rmgc extension) appended by "_media". For example, "Vardy-Skinner_media" for the Vardy-Skinner.rmgc database as explained in the Help topic "Ancestry WebHints".

Thanks Tom,

That explains it. By coincidence, that was where my original media folder was, and that was how I had named it. As a result, TreeShare was saving new meda files to my RM Media folder and I just didn't realize that it would be different if I set up my RM Media folder in a different place. I thought TreeShare saved them to the Media Folder in my folder preferences.

Pretty well buried in the help.....probably makes sense to re-read occasionally  :o

Changed my media folder back to it's original path, relinked, and all is good again.

Thanks for the info

Rick

RickL