7 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:20 PM

This is sort of a wish list item, but it's not for any of the RM software products, per se. Rather, it's a wish or suggestion that there be a nationwide RM conference, hosted by the RM team and with presentations by them and also with presentations by any number of RM users. The RM team participates in many conferences each year. I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the existing conferences are specific to the RM company and its products.

As far as a time and place, I would try to attend most any time and most any place. If the RM team thought this might be a goo idea, then it would have to wait until after the release of RM8, and then another six months or so for the release to really be stable. Software is really hard and RM8 is a total rewrite, so that probably gets us at least to the middle of 2020. So maybe spring of 2021 might be an appropriate time for such a conference. As far as a place, there would be lots of travel involved for lots of users if they attended, so why not a central location and Salt Lake would probably be as good as any and might make it easier on the RM team. And as usual with most conferences these days, surely many or most of the sessions could be broadcast on the Internet.

Jerry

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:25 PM

What a good idea. I'd try to come. I would like to suggest that it be held in a place where there is a good genealogy library as well. Salt Lake City, Houston, Boston and New York come to mind immediately.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:58 AM

Fort Wayne (Allen County Public Library) also has an outstanding collection.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3268 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

it's a wish or suggestion that there be a nationwide RM conference

Which Nation ;)

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3422 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

Which Nation ;)

Just funnin', of course, but... (State of Indiana)

xcontinent.gif

I spent several years driving 2.5 hours each way to work ( that's Dublin to Galway and back ;-)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3268 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

Just funnin', of course, but... (State of Indiana)

xcontinent.gif

I spent several years driving 2.5 hours each way to work ( that's Dublin to Galway and back ;-)

Just funnin also, I know I know and yet we won the west and mostly populated America :D

I never entertained any hopes of ever meeting the team, except on these boards, my original comment was, of course, tongue in cheek.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3422 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

Just funnin also, I know I know and yet we won the west and mostly populated America :D

I never entertained any hopes of ever meeting the team, except on these boards, my original comment was, of course, tongue in cheek.

GREAT comeback ! So true ~

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3268 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

GREAT comeback ! So true ~

:D  I'm not even Irish, more of an English settler from a few hundred years ago wearing the flag, still it's a great weeee place.

Root