11 replies to this topic

#1 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

I really appreciate RM's wall charting power, allowing for the great control over designing wall charts.  But for some reason the jpg files I have linked to my database are seriously degraded when I try to include them in the chart. RM apparently converts them to bmp's which I assume is RM's preferred format, but they don't look anything like the originals.  They are marred with lines and pixelated patches.  Any thoughts on what might be going on or how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

Are you referring to actual hardcopy or PDF output... or just onscreen presentation. If I remember other mentions correctly, quite often the onscreen presentation appears much worse than the Hardcopy.

EDIT: Okay, I just did a quick test of screen versus PDF... see the difference?

duh.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.  Unfortunately, I do not see a pdf option when exporting a chart form RootsMagic Chart (accessed from Wall Charts in Reports).  I have emf, bmp, jpg, pcx, png, and tga to select from under Export Chart. 

I'm having trouble pasting an image into this post but my jpg output looks the same as the screen when opened in Painshop Pro.  My images look very similar to what you show on the screen side of your comparison.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

Posting pictures:

http://forums.rootsm...-the-rm-forums/

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.  Unfortunately, I do not see a pdf option when exporting a chart form RootsMagic Chart (accessed from Wall Charts in Reports).  I have emf, bmp, jpg, pcx, png, and tga to select from under Export Chart.

Actually, I just lazily, used the Print option (to Windows 10 virtual PDF printer). Obviously, w/regard to actual (not onscreen) output, the image formats (except .EMF) are fixed at their own unique maximum resolutions (pixels density) and ratios (height to width proportion sizes), foremost, and then scale along with the Chart size parameters chosen, additionally. In a perfect world, think of determining how large (in inches high -by- inches wide) the chart parameters yield as output versus the same for the image(s). So, chart backgrounds suffer the most likelihood of distortion unless their overall actual size is equal to or greater than the chart's properties (in both DPI and proportion).

.EMF output is a somewhat scalable format that can result in allowance of larger size chart properties. I've previously described a method that I have used before that yields good results, but utilizes PowerPoint.
HERE-> http://forums.rootsm...-chart/?p=86345

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Perhaps it is a scaling issue.  I will look into that.  In the meantime, here is what the jpg output looks like

Test-RMcrop.jpg

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:39 PM

Perhaps it is a scaling issue.  I will look into that.  In the meantime, here is what the jpg output looks like

That is the same for me -and- ANYBODY... Exporting any "image" format (except .EMF) effectively captures the whole chart image (at 150 x 150 pixels/inch) and also with any inherent scaling issues of the individual pictures and background ...more or less... as displayed in the representational onscreen depiction.

So, onscreen (96x96), any image format except .EMF (150x150) -or- printing to PDF/exporting .EMF allowing for higher than 150x150 (IF the original photo, image, or background was captured at a higher one).

The boxes, lines and text are just "decorators" overlayed on the chosen output format. Try the Print to PDF route -or- export an .EMF and examine, then you'll experience higher quality results.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:22 PM

My EMF export drops the pictures and only prints the text and lines, but printing to pdf does work for me as far as image quality goes and everything looks great. 

However, this method splits the chart into pages, and I am not seeing any option in the drop down list to customize page size, ie. export as a single large page;  all of the options appear to be predetermined sizes.  Thanks again for your time and help with this.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

However, this method splits the chart into pages, and I am not seeing any option in the drop down list to customize page size, ie. export as a single large page;  all of the options appear to be predetermined sizes.  Thanks again for your time and help with this.

Pages result from difference in original chart size versus destination output format (ie. the PDF print driver used needs options chosen to accommodate size) of the of the entire chart dimensions (32.3 in. x 22.9 in.)… that -or- my offering of the Powerpoint procedure for even larger sizes than the chart properties (for super large charts at the printers shop).

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

To me it appears the page setup is a function of RootsMagic Chart on the File drop down menu.  I did add custom page sizes to the pdf printer but that is not affecting the output.  And to all this I say there would be room for improvement in RM Chart to avoid workarounds that involve 3rd party software.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

These directions will help you print a single page PDF.

https://support.root...l-Chart-from-RM

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 tonyjohnston.toronto

tonyjohnston.toronto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

I just created .jpg image of a descendant wall chart using the export function from my RootsMagic7 program.

Unfortunately, it contained badly pixelated copies of people's portrait images despite how the original image digital files and similar descendant chart output from my old FamilyTreeMaker program all have been very crisp and clear.

So, sure hope that when RootsMagic8 comes out, this problem will have been resolved!

1 > Copy of on-screen image from my RootsMagic7 program:

Scott1.jpg

2 > Partial copy from my descendant wall chart created using my RootsMagic7 program that shows example of bad pixelation:

Scott2.jpg