#1 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:19 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a bit new to RootsMagic and I have tried virtually everything else. I find RootsMagic to be far and away the best tool on the market today. It's not best at everything, but it's best at the core functions as far as I can determine.

I'm curious if anyone has tried to store the RM database on a Google Drive or a Google Team Folder. I already have my backups, reports, GEDCOM, and media all on my Google Drive and all that works fine. It would be nice to be able to keep the database there as well as I often switch from my desktop PC to my MacBook (running RM via Parallels 14) and it would be fantastic if I can open one or the other (only one at a time) and just access the database from the common point on both systems.

I know this can be done with Gramps as of version five and I believe RootsMagic is also using sqlite with DB-API, so I'm curious to know if anyone has tried the same with RM or not. And if so, what was the success or failure of doing that?

Thanks!

#2 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 03:55 PM

See if this recent entry gives you some insight.

http://forums.rootsm...of-media-files/

#3 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thanks. I di

See if this recent entry gives you some insight.

http://forums.rootsm...of-media-files/

Thanks KFN. I didn't see this discussion. I am really asking more about the storage of the RM database itself. Keeping the other files like media, reports, etc. is already working fine for me. :-)

But that discussion did help and gave me a possibly better idea of what to do with the media, so thanks.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

I store my family tree media on Google Drive and my database backups on OneDrive - in their respective local folders You may store your database there but it is risky to do so. Can you remember to always pause sync before you open the database and resume after closing it? There have been sufficient incidents of corruption arising from active syncing while using the database that, despite those who claim they have never had a problem doing so, Tech Support recommends that you do not have your database in a syncable folder.

Additionally, periodically do a full export to exercise as much of the database as possible as that sometimes turns up corruption of data that is undetected by the RM Database Tools.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.