3 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:48 PM

Is there any difference between [Name:Full] and [Name:NoCycle] in RM's Sentence Template Language. They seem to do exactly the same thing.

Jerry

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:42 AM

Is there any difference between [Name:Full] and [Name:NoCycle] in RM's Sentence Template Language. They seem to do exactly the same thing.

Is [Name:Full] not cycling for you between the casual name and He/She, in subsequent uses, as documented?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

Is [Name:Full] not cycling for you between the casual name and He/She, in subsequent uses, as documented?

No, [person:full] is not cycling for me.  Sorry I didn't make that clear. That's the whole point of this message. Also, I may be missing something obvious, but I can't find in the documentation where [person:full] is supposed to cycle.

And by the way, I had a terrible typo in my initial message in this thread, including the very title of the thread. It's not [name:full] vs. [name].  It's [person:full] vs. [person].

I used [person:full] for years to prevent cycling of the names. I was probably doing something wrong, but my understanding was that [person:full] implied both full name and nocycle. And that's the way RM always seemed to work for me. I have just retested it, and in my tests I can find no difference between [person:full] and [person:nocycle]. My tests may not be adequate in some sense, but that's what my tests show. I strung six consecutive facts together, each with [person:full], with no recycling.

Jerry

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:03 PM

Well, I am away from my copy of Rootsmagic now, but my reply at the time was based on having remembered that RM cycles between names and pronouns in reports at times. When I searched up the :Cycle modifier in the Help facility... it said something like being the default in certain various fact sentences (can't remember which, sorry).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N