• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

Followed the guide and completely uninstalled the previous version before downloading the new one.

Two problems in the last five minutes:

1) Access violation

2) Wine Gecko Installer - Wine could not find a Gecko package.

The second issue occurred when I opened an individual's details and then clicked on Media Album. Now the system is non-responsive (I mean the buttons depress on screen but nothing happens) and the only way out is 'Force Quit'.

:-/

David

#2 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

Should have added the Access violation occurs on shutdown:

Address 011152A7 in module RootsMagic.exe. Read of address 00000638

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

Accept the wine gecko installer package for full functionality. The minor update is only for the CrossOver application, which makes the Apple error about compatibility go away (so perhaps the CrossOver update is the 64-bit version after all?). All usual bugs in RM7 have not been resolved. Perennial Access violations with FamilySearch have not been resolved. 

Supposedly the RM8 version for full native Mac OS will magically resolve the FamilySearch interface issues.

#4 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:51 AM

A saw the note about the update but RM says nothing about it being available when I open it and the change log also mentions nothing. Where is this update?

#5 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:18 AM

Had the same but if you go here:

http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-7/

the download will be the updated version. Note the previous comment - you may need to manually install wine gecko. 

#6 nauvoomom

nauvoomom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:23 AM

I downloaded yesterday, and did not get a prompt to install the Gecko package until trying to look at notes.  It was when comparing files, I tried to compare notes, and got an error message about installing gecko.

also, when comparing notes, neither note displays.

and yes, i COMPLETELY uninstalled according to the directions before re-installing

on re-starting RM, I got the prompt to install gecko when trying to view sources.  after installing, the program hung, briefly, but recovered.  

#7 nauvoomom

nauvoomom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

after installing the new mac update yesterday, I was unable to save a new to-do on a person, and the program hung.  I tried to create the to-do while editing a person during a compare file process.

Then when trying to get out by quitting roots magic, error message  sharing violation - could not create backup file.

Had to force quit.

after restarting RM and installing gecko, was able to create the to-do without problems.

#8 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:04 PM

So where does one get this Gecko installer?

#9 Darn9999

Darn9999

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

After I installed the updated version I opened a tree, selected an individual and clicked on Media to see the media assigned to that individual. My system (running Mojave 10.14.3 Beta) hung and I had to Force Quit, a small window remained on-screen notifying that the Gecko package needed to be installed and provided a link for the installation. After selecting the link the package installed and I've not seen the error since BUT I've not had much opportunity to use the system since either.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

When you receive the Wine Gecko installer message the option to install it is on the screen. Go head and install. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

I had a little trouble with the CrossOver for RootsMagic so I tried putting it on Parallels 14 and it works perfectly. I've heard that others have no issues with the CrossOver customized package, but if you do, you might consider using Parallels. Turning on Coherence mode makes it work almost like it's just another Mac app. If you have trouble, I recommend it, and I use VMware products for my business every day. I just prefer Parallels for my MacBook.

https://www.parallel...op-14-launches/

I hpoe that might help someone.