6 replies to this topic

#1 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

I recently installed RM7 on my laptop PC. I also have RM7 installed on my desktop PC. Both are Windows 10 PCs. I'm using the same database and media (stored on Dropbox) for both RM installs. Media links break because they point to different local Dropbox locations - L:\dropbox\genealogy\media and C:\users\...\dropbox\genealogy\media. 

I assume that if I fix the broken links on my laptop RM install, it will change the links in the database - and therefore break links in RM I use on my desktop PC.

I would love to share one RM database and media folder to both computers so when I make a change on either machine, I see the change in the other - and media appears the same on both machines. 

- Greg

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6000 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

I've done this between a laptop and a tablet and posted about how I did it 2-3 years ago. I'll post a link when I find it.

Word of warning: do not open the database from either or both computers while the .rmgc file sits in an actively synced folder - that is asking for corruption.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3264 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:20 PM

I recently installed RM7 on my laptop PC. I also have RM7 installed on my desktop PC. Both are Windows 10 PCs. I'm using the same database and media (stored on Dropbox) for both RM installs. Media links break because they point to different local Dropbox locations - L:\dropbox\genealogy\media and C:\users\...\dropbox\genealogy\media. 

I assume that if I fix the broken links on my laptop RM install, it will change the links in the database - and therefore break links in RM I use on my desktop PC.

I would love to share one RM database and media folder to both computers so when I make a change on either machine, I see the change in the other - and media appears the same on both machines. 

- Greg

I would use disk management to align both paths for the future, just type disk management after clicking the windows button, you can then change the drive assignments.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6000 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:02 PM

Here's a link to my now 4-year old saga to sync the media between the C hard disk drive of my laptop and the removable microSD D drive of my tablet. Being a removable complicated things for Dropbox. You'll need to read on through the discussion to pick up all the points relevant to your configuration. It may be a whole lot simpler for you as suggested by vyger. I don't currently use the tablet for RM or much of anything else- it was just too small a screen and my vision has deteriorated since then so I mainly use it for streaming audio or video. I can say that the setup is still working after having upgraded from Win 8 to Win 10.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:20 PM

TomH - thanks. And, yeah, good point about the database sync on Dropbox. 

Vyger - thanks. I don't think I want to change my drive assignments for this one application.

#6 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:41 PM

You should be able to map any sub folder to a new drive on both computers. You dont need to map the entire drive.

You will need to turn on sharing for the folder then map the folder/share as a drive off your computer name.

\\computer name\folder-share

#7 jbennette

jbennette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

KFN - thanks for the idea. 

I think I'll just put my media on a USB thumb drive - cheap, small, easy to transport. Then all I have to do is assign the same drive letter to the thumb drive on both computers. Plug and play!

Fortunately, the database is accessible on both computers using Dropbox. And Dropbox gives me automatic backup to the cloud.

Thanks everyone for the useful ideas and speedy assistance. I probably hit this board about once a decade, and in each instance, I've received quick and useful responses.

Cheers!

- Greg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: media files, linking media