5 replies to this topic

#1 Cipollina

Cipollina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

Ciao!

I have just installed RootsMagic Essentials 7, I like it but it doesn't support the Italian language. Does RootsMagic 7 support it?

^_^

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6000 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

Only partially, in the sense that data can be entered in text fields in many languages and alphabets but dates cannot and both the user interface and inescapably hard coded text bits in displays and reports of data are exclusively English.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Cipollina

Cipollina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

Why not? There are many international users of RootsMagic. I'm Italian, I need some reports written in Italian. Please, make a multilanguage version of this wonderful software!!!  :D

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6000 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

As a user, I can only speculate. Several years ago, it seemed that RootsMagic Inc intended to develop multi-lingual support but it seems to have been set aside by or for other developments.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:02 AM

Much of what RM does is not only specific to the English language, it is Anglo-centric from a genealogy perspective. If you've tried adding Swedish or Spanish families to RM, you'll know what I'm talking about. In English you can calculate a cousin relationship and output the results (e.g. 3rd cousin, 2ce removed). In Spanish there are specific names for all cousin relationships out to 4th cousin, which are different depending on who is in the senior and junior generation. The assembly of websites and text reports (sentences) is based on the formation of English grammar. All of this is a non-trivial exercise to rewrite into other languages and family traditions. 

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

In Spanish there are specific names for all cousin relationships out to 4th cousin, which are different depending on who is in the senior and junior generation. 

Thank you for posting this. Even though I'm familiar with the certain basic relationship words such as husband, wife, son, daughter, father, mother, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew in several languages, I'm quite ignorant of how languages  other than English handle cousin type relationships. Indeed, I don't think English itself handles cousin type relationships very well.

If you have an aunt/niece relationship or an aunt/nephew relationship or things of that sort in English, it's easy to tell which person is in which generation and the genders are well specified in the language. But the word cousin in English has no gender connotation, and for things like first cousins once removed there is no way in English to determine from the language which person is in which generation. One of my first cousins once removed could be a child of one of my first cousins, or could be a first cousin of one of my parents and there is no English language way to tell the difference. So it's interesting that Spanish does have a way to tell such a difference.

Jerry