6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 08:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this?

I'm seeing some Ancestry Tree Share media file names posted to Roots Magic as duplicated or odd file names.

Examples:

004145670_01951 (004145670_01951).jpg

004161308_00187 (0253A65E69424ECE9321B9E2B65DF4CB).jpg

Does anyone know why these are listed this way?

Any thoughts appreciated

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:47 AM

When you add media the first time from Ancestry it will be named 004145670_01951.jpg. If you add the same media again it will have the name 004145670_01951 (004145670_01951).jpg. That is because the Ancestry API has no idea that the media is already on the computer. When adding it to the same media folder and it will duplicate the file name. 

When you add sources and media try to update all facts it belongs to with it. Then click the Accept Changes button to update all. It will then add and use the same media file. If you go back and add it again you will get a duplicate. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

When you add media the first time from Ancestry it will be named 004145670_01951.jpg. If you add the same media again it will have the name 004145670_01951 (004145670_01951).jpg. That is because the Ancestry API has no idea that the media is already on the computer. When adding it to the same media folder and it will duplicate the file name. 

When you add sources and media try to update all facts it belongs to with it. Then click the Accept Changes button to update all. It will then add and use the same media file. If you go back and add it again you will get a duplicate. 

Renee,

Got it.

So, the problem with this is that each time you add a citation to RM using Tree Share, unless you point it to all persons and facts pertaining to that particular media at the same time, you will get duplication in your media directory. That can be challenging because you may not know everywhere, or have all the persons/facts set up in RM, that the media should link to. An example would be a large family where all the members were listed in the same census record. To avoid duplicate media from being loaded to RM, it would have to be pointed to every family member's census fact at the same time. I guess the best thing to do, in the interest of time, would be to allow the duplicates, but clean them up later by relinking the citations to only one of the duplicated files and then delete the others. (whew!).

Thanks for the info. At least I know what I'm dealing with.

Rick

RickL

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

Renee,

Got it.

So, the problem with this is that each time you add a citation to RM using Tree Share, unless you point it to all persons and facts pertaining to that particular media at the same time, you will get duplication in your media directory. That can be challenging because you may not know everywhere, or have all the persons/facts set up in RM, that the media should link to. An example would be a large family where all the members were listed in the same census record. To avoid duplicate media from being loaded to RM, it would have to be pointed to every family member's census fact at the same time. I guess the best thing to do, in the interest of time, would be to allow the duplicates, but clean them up later by relinking the citations to only one of the duplicated files and then delete the others. (whew!).

Thanks for the info. At least I know what I'm dealing with.

Rick

Renee,

Your advice got me thinking about a better faster way to add sources with media to RM for multi-person citations.

After working with your suggestion for several days, I have found a similar acceptable solution. Very briefly - sticking with the "census' example -

1) determine who the head of the census family is

2) use Tree Share or WebHints to import the census source with media to RM to create a new census(residence) fact for the head person

3) add a census (residence) fact for each member of the family listed in the census source

4) memorize the census source & media from the head person's census fact and paste it into the added fact for each family member

This adds a new citation to the original source & media for each family member without duplicating either the source or the media in RM.

If, after completing this process, another listed person has a hint for the same fact in WebHints, just accept it to close the hint without adding or updating.

Same basic steps can be used for any multi-person instance of a fact, even if the fact for additional persons are added at a later time.

Thanks again for your help.

Rick

RickL

#5 jrueger

jrueger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:22 AM

This all seems to require an inordinate amount of contortions for something RM ought to be able to handle.  I highly doubt that Ancestry constantly renames files so it would be a pretty safe bet that a file named 1234.jpg today when I download it via Treeshare will also be named 1234.jpg tomorrow if I download it again, or if it is attached to a different person via Tree share tomorrow.  All RM needs to do is realize that if I don't rename the file then the contents of the file are the same - i.e. it is the SAME file with the SAME contents - and just compare the tag already in RM. If the person being synced via Treeshare is already tagged to that media file, do nothing - and if the person is not already tagged then add them as a tag.  Surely there is no need to create a new file 1234(1234).jpg which in effect is the very same as 1234.jpg. Isn't that why RM is built as a relational database? As it stands now I have a huge number of "duplicate" media files with different names.  That said ...

What is the easiest way to see who a media file belongs to (i.e. for any given media file, what persons or events are tagged to that file)?  Using the Media manager is a bit cumbersome and it is not entirely obvious who the file "belongs" to ... I'd like to be able to easily move tags from one Media file to another and then delete the unnecessary file - thereby reducing my storage requirements by a huge amount.  I have only ever used Treeshare to import media images, never restored files, or copied the same file from another location etc etc.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:11 AM

The key linking a file on Ancestry with its TreeShared copy on your pc is not the name but a table record pairing its Ancestry ID, a structured code, with a record number in another table that contains the local filename, thumbnail, etc. Thus, the local filename can be changed.

Based on that independence, I develooed automatic procedures to identify and remove duplicates. See Media Duplicates Reports and Remedies at https://sqlitetoolsf...dia-duplicates/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 jrueger

jrueger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

Ah thanks - I knew I should have checked your SQL Tools site but somehow managed to forget to do that.  Thanks again.