4 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

I would like to search for people for whom I've used the Alternate name tag, and preferably to be able to search for each of the the tag's variations: married, nickname, immigration. etc.

The find function for the person list doesn't seem to offer such searches. Is there a way to do this that I've missed? If not, the omission is Altername name from the find list would seem to be a programming omission.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:54 PM

A "list" can be printed:

Lists->Fact Types list->Alternate name->Print->Create a list of:->People with this fact type:->

* The Custom Report Designer also supports Alternate Name *

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6043 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

I agree that it does seem like a programming omission if you cannot filter a search on Alternate Names and Name Type. It is a fairly easy SQLite query to generate such a list. One should not have to resort to a report; it should be part of RM Explorer's and Named Group's criteria.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3282 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:55 PM

I would like to search for people for whom I've used the Alternate name tag, and preferably to be able to search for each of the the tag's variations: married, nickname, immigration. etc.

The find function for the person list doesn't seem to offer such searches. Is there a way to do this that I've missed? If not, the omission is Altername name from the find list would seem to be a programming omission.

I agree with both Robert and Tom, reporting and filtering is very limited in respect of Alternate Names. Robert I would repost this on the Wish List, I would very much doubt RM would acknowledge it as being an issue except for those who expect more. In my opinion the finding, sorting and filtering of anything carefully entered into ones database should be facilitated by the UI and there are many ommisions at present so the reverse of GIGO.

In addition to all the existing Surname and Given Name options these need to be added to in respect of selecting the Alternate Name Type.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 02:11 AM

I owe Kevin a vote of thanks for suggesting the list function which does some of what I need. And I agree with Tom and Vyger that the search & filter facility for alternate name tags by the listed types and also by no_type should be part of the basic program. I'll try to add a suitable request to the wish list tomorrow.

Thanks to all who responded.

Robert