4 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have been compiling the vital records of my ancestral home town, which have been scanned and put on line. For the 1915 births, the most recent year for which these records are on line, there were 100 birth records, and 28 of those connect to my lines, up from 23 when I actually entered them.

First, before I forget, a tip: To count persons, do File > Export  and under People to Export, select Select from List. When the next screen says, Select People, click Mark Group and select Select People by data fields. All of the descendants of my ancestors are in red. Then I click OK and it says how many persons it selected.

Anyway, compiling BMD's is very different from usual genealogy, in that it is highly repetitive. I type in the source, for example, "Castelcivita civil death records of 1940 number 28" and then the link and then "as accessed on 14 December 2018" without a period, since RootsMagic adds one anyway. Then I highlight that and paste it into the Short footnote, but then I delete all but "Castelcivita civil death records of 1940 number 28" but I paste the whole thing into Bibliography. (FamilySearch records, by the way, let you click a link to copy a well-written source into the clipboard.)

Now, I need something with an interface that does not take up much area on my screen, so I can see the record while typing it in; instead of writing it down on scrap paper and typing it in from that. The interface would have to be designed for one type of record, such as marriage records. If I am doing marriage records that day, I would set it in marriage records mode. Then I would type in the data. The source would pre-load except for the record number and the URL; the program would insert the current date from my machine's internal clock.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6004 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:54 PM

Could you not use a (custom) Source Template with fields for record number and URL. While it may seem logical to have a field for AccessDate, RM has no function to autofill it with today's date. So maybe you have the date in the sentence template, edited each research day but not save the source under that template. Copy the preview footnote, short footnote and bibliography to an outboard note editor as a temp store, create a new Free Form source and paste the outboard sentences into its corresponding fields. This way, the change of date in the template won't affect any sources. However, it's probably easier to have an AccessDate field in the source template and store today's date in the outboard note editor, continually selected for convenient ctrl+c copying for pasting into the citation editor field.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8121 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

To count persons I make a group of them and then use the Statistics List report for the total. 

On the other part it sounds like you need something to transcribe into. I have used Evernote, OneNote and now Personal Historian to compile all the information I want to include on the source citation. Then I just copy and paste it into the source. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6004 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

Another approach for rote sentences with variables is with a spreadsheet program. Use a formula to generate the sentences from concatenation of text strings and cell references. One cell each for Record, URL and AccessDate. The latter can be filled with a function like =today().

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

For Excel to GEDCOM have a look here https://www.youtube....enealogyReviews