• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nhokanson

nhokanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

I found the date of marriage of a couple in my tree. I added the fact to the husband and then selected an existing person as the spouse. She was already listed as his spouse, but I want to add the marriage date that I have found. When I look on the edit person screen for either individual I can see the marriage date. However, in the family view, the marriage line is blank. Can someone tell me how to edit things properly so that the marriage date will show on family view?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

Are you using the standard Marriage fact for the marriage, or some other fact?

Jerry

#3 nhokanson

nhokanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:39 PM

I am using the standard marriage fact.

#4 nhokanson

nhokanson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:49 PM

I fixed it! I'm not sure what I did previously, but somehow I had 2 marriages between the same people. One had the marriage date and one did not. I deleted the marriage with no date and now it's all cleaned up. I am curious, however, why it wouldn't show as a second marriage for the two. I was only able to find this by scrolling through the timeline of the husband and finding the second marriage entry with no date. 

Thanks for reaching out to help.

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Select the husband.  At the top left block is the Spouse count 1?

Select the wife. At the top left block is the Spouse count 1?

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:55 PM

This probably isn't an issue with a spouse that is linked multiple times. Rather, it's simply that there were two marriage facts, one with a date and one without a date. For some reason, it was showing the marriage without a date at the top of the screen.

There is a deeper issue here. I have quite a few couples in my database who were married, divorced, and remarried to each other. I have a date for each marriage. The top of the screen only has room for one marriage date. Which date should RM choose to display at the top of the screen?

Jerry

#7 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:16 AM

Jerry,

It displays the Marriage event marked primary. So you have a choice.

Jim

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:31 PM

It displays the Marriage event marked primary. So you have a choice.

Interesting. It doesn't seem to work that way for me. But it seems pretty fuzzy exactly which marriage actually is chosen.

It occurs to me that there may be two different cases: 1) marriages to multiple spouses, 2) multiple marriages to the same spouse. I'm going to experiment a little more with the second space and report back with the results.

Jerry

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3568 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

Interesting. It doesn't seem to work that way for me. But it seems pretty fuzzy exactly which marriage actually is chosen.

It occurs to me that there may be two different cases: 1) marriages to multiple spouses, 2) multiple marriages to the same spouse. I'm going to experiment a little more with the second space and report back with the results.

Ok, the primary flag does work to choose a marriage date to display at the top of the screen. But the issue is confused by multiple spouses.

In the case of multiple spouses, RM first has to choose a spouse for whom to display a marriage date.  Then if there are multiple marriages to the chosen spouse, then the primary flag chooses a marriage fact from which to display the date. The primary flag does not influence the choice of spouse, only the choice of marriage within spouse. The spouse for whom a marriage is displayed is the same spouse chosen for display in Pedigree View or Family View, which in turn is the most recent spouse you have displayed in Pedigree View or Family View.

Jerry

#10 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

When two people remarry again to each other I treat them as a new family unit, rather than add the second marriage to the same family. This way all other events and any subsequent children are associated with the right marriage. I think of the union as creating a new distinct object. This also allows the time lines to remain consistent if for instance one or both of the individuals had other marriages in between the remarriages.