4 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

I'm not sure if this is an issue, but I'm running into it more and more. There seems to be no direct solution.

A hint will pop up in RM. When I view the hint details it is what I'm calling a "listed in" record. For example, A death certificate for a child will pop up against the parent, presumably because the parent is listed in the record. However, if you try to handle this hint in "web hints" the program does not assign the hint to any fact or event type. I usually have to just assign it to "Add a new Name", then clean it up later by adding a new fact/event, such as "misc", in RM and copy the source from the "Alt Name" to the newly added fact/event. This seems strange given that "Web Hints" apparently doesn't know where to add this type of record since it made the connection to start with.

Maybe I'm missing something. Anyone have any suggestions?    :unsure:

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

In those cases I click on the "Show on Ancestry" button to open the Ancestry website to them. Then under Hints I will add the records there to their family members. The Ancestry API just doesn't give us the ability to add records to another person. We can only add them as a new person.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

In those cases I click on the "Show on Ancestry" button to open the Ancestry website to them. Then under Hints I will add the records there to their family members. The Ancestry API just doesn't give us the ability to add records to another person. We can only add them as a new person.

Well nothing is perfect of course, but it seems strange that (for instance) a document or record will pop up as a hint against a person other than who the record is for. (Like my example of a child's death certificate showing up against a parent.) What is even more odd, is that when I check the primary person that the record is for, I often don't find a hint?? In any case I usually go to the person that the record was for and then add the data there like you suggested.

Thanks as always

Rick

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:15 PM

I'm glad that they do provide record hints like that though. Its the only way I confirmed my 2nd great grandmother's second marriage. She was listed as mother of the groom, along with the person I thought was her 2nd husband. In that case I added it as a source to her second marriage. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

I'm glad that they do provide record hints like that though. Its the only way I confirmed my 2nd great grandmother's second marriage. She was listed as mother of the groom, along with the person I thought was her 2nd husband. In that case I added it as a source to her second marriage. 

I agree. Any hint is a good hint if it yields new information. I was just a little turned around about why Ancestry doesn't post the hint against the principle person (and sometimes they do). Anyway, your suggestion about viewing the information back on Ancestry and then saving it to the principle person there, was a good one. Then you just use TreeShare to bring it back to RM for the right person. Kind of around the world, but it works. Thanks for the help.

Rick

RickL