• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RDDPDX

RDDPDX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

When doing a backup on one computer and restore to another computer, multimedia files are being restored to the wrong folder, resulting in broken links. Here is my setup.

In RM on both my desktop computer and notebook computer, I have specified the following folder as the location of my multimedia files:

C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Data files\Media

and the location of my data files on both machines is:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Data Files

and on both machines, my backup files are located in:

C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Backups

Next, I do a backup (including media) on my notebook computer and then restore to my desktop. I specify that the folder to which I am restoring my files is:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Data Files

and I answer “yes” when asked if I want to restore multimedia files.

My problem is that the restored multimedia files end up in the Documents folder on my desktop computer instead of in the Dropbox folder that I specified in Program Options/Folders:

C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Data Files\media

This results in broken links in RM on my desktop computer.

How can I fix this so that when using restore, the multimedia files end up in the Dropbox folder that is specified in Program Options/Folders, not in the Documents folder?

Ron Doctor (rddpdx@gmail.com)

Researching DOCTOR (DIOKHTER), VARER, AVERBAKH, KORENFELD ... all from Kremenets, Oleksinets, Yampol, Vishnevets in Ukraine, and KAZDOY (KOSODOY), DUBINSKI, DUBOWSKY ... all from Kiev, Uman, Odessa in Ukraine

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:48 PM

According to the HELP facility...the restored media files should end up in a folder underneath ---> C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Genealogy\RootsMagic\Data Files\

Backing up media

Note that when you back up your files, any images or other items that you set up in the Media Album are not included in the backup by default.  If you want to include these files, mark the checkbox "Backup media files" and RootsMagic will include your media files in the backup.  Keep in mind that if you have a lot of media items, this can make your backup file enormous.

When you restore a backup that includes media, RootsMagic will ask if you want to restore the media as well.  If you are restoring your backup to a computer that already has your media items, you should select "No".  When RootsMagic restores media items from a backup it places them in a folder under the folder containing the database and relinks the database to those newly restored media items.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:44 PM

How can I fix this so that when using restore, the multimedia files end up in the Dropbox folder that is specified in Program Options/Folders, not in the Documents folder?

As Kevin already described, it doesn't work that way. If you backup with media and restore with media, the location of the media file restore follows the the location of the RM database (well, one folder below) rather than following the Program Options/Folders. But to me that still leaves two mysteries.

• Mystery #1. When a restore with media does its thing, it is supposed to link the restored media files according to the location they were actually restored. Even if this location is not what you desire, there should be no broken links. So why do you have broken links? Remember that the Program Options/Folders option for media doesn't really tell you where your media files are located. RM stores the absolute file path of every media file and uses that absolute file path any time it fetches a media file. The Program Options/Folders option for media only has effect for a media file when you are first linking it into RM.
  • Mystery #2. Given that your RM database is not in Dropbox and your media files are in Dropbox, why backup with media and restore with media? It does no harm to have your media files in Dropbox. So why not just have Dropbox do the work of syncing your media files between your two machines? That would mean to backup without media and restore without media because Dropbox is already taking care of your media.

Jerry

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

There is another piece to your puzzle that may be a clue to what is going on. Namely, having backed up your RM database with media on your notebook and restored to your desktop with media, you say there are broken links on your desktop. That makes no sense, but it actually does make sense that there would now be broken links on your notebook, depending on how your get your RM database back to your notebook. Namely, the media links on your desktop ought now to point to your Documents folder. Now let's suppose you backup on your desktop without media and restore back to your notebook. The links on your notebook will now point to your Documents folder when in fact the media files on the notebook are only in Dropbox and have have not been replicated to Documents. Does it sound like something like that might have happened?

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8474 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

The only time RM uses the default folder for media is when you are scanning inside RM and it will save to that folder. Or it will open that location when you are trying to add media to RM. The backup restore is creating a new folder for media and not possible to be one you already have set as the default. It will be a media folder as a sub-folder to where the database is restored. If you already have a media folder in that location it will add the media again to that folder. So you will have duplicates. Be very careful of restoring media if you already have media on your computer there. I suggest renaming the current media folder if you think you will have duplicates. You could always restore the back and media into the Dropbox folder. Then drag the database file out of there. The links won't break that way. 

Renee
RootsMagic