2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

I think that wishes of this nature have been posted before, including perhaps by me. But even if I'm partially repeating myself, at least some of the items here I think are new.

• I wish that RM included a screen that would present the Fact Type List in a grid format, much the same as the FactTypeTable actually appears in the RM database itself. Such a screen could replace the existing Lists>Fact Type List or not. But in any case, the most salient aspect of the new screen is that there would be one row for each fact type displaying all the information for that fact type. Each data element would be displayed as a separate column in the grid.
  • The new list of RM's fact types should be extensively filterable and sort-able on any column (or columns!), and the filtering and sorting should be easy to accomplish in the RM user interface.
  • The new list of RM's fact types should include at least the following columns based on the format of the RM7 version of the FactTypeTable: type of fact (individual or family), Name of fact, Abbreviation of Fact, GEDCOM tag for fact, Enable date field, Enable place field, Enable description field, include for GEDCOM export, include for Publish Online or HTML, include for Family Group Sheets, include for Narrative Reports, include for Individual Summaries, Include for Printed Lists, and sentence template for fact. In the actual FactTypeTable, some of the flags are individual bits in a common byte in the table. But such bit flags need to be displayed as separate columns in the RM user interface.
  • A new flag should be created for each fact type called "Display when adding facts". This new flag would allow users to remove Fact Types from the drop-down list which appears when adding a new fact for a person without removing the Fact Types from the system entirely. Disabling this flag should not disable any instances of the fact that are already in the database. The drop-down list when adding a new fact to a person should have an option which defaults to off which controls whether disabled Fact Types are displayed in the list. Thus, a user could see disabled Fact Types when adding a fact to a person if the the user really needed to do so.
  • A new flag should be created for each fact type called "Make the fact type private". This new flag would make each instance of the fact type private without needing to mark each instance individually. Therefore, the fact type would be under the control of including or excluding private facts when creating reports.
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY, it should be possible to update each cell in the grid by typing directly into the grid and without opening a sub-window and without answering any questions, just as you can enter data into the cells of an Excel spreadsheet or any other kind of spreadsheet. There may be a few cells that need to be protected from changes, such as the Name, Abbreviation, and GEDCOM Tag for built-in Fact Types.

Jerry

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3532 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

I wouldn't want this to appear until RM9 unless something similar to this has already been implemented by the developers to be released in RM8. Nothing should slow down RM8. :)

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:03 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic