4 replies to this topic

#1 sue3

sue3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hi

When an individual's web tag (found at the bottom of an individual's page) is clicked from an RM7 website, the site opens in a new tab.

But, when the web tag for a source or citation is clicked, the site opens in the same tab. This doesn't work well because it is awkward to return to your starting point. The back arrow returns you to the person's page, not the popped-out screen that the citation was in. It's confusing because a person has to remember which event's citations she was looking at, and click on that icon again to return to the starting point.

I would like to be able to choose which behavior I wanted for each web tag, or at least for the webtags of a particular type, but I didn't see any option anywhere to be able to choose. Am I missing something?

Sue

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:07 AM

Confirming this issue has been reported to development. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

Maybe a suggestion? On a mouse with a scroll wheel, place mouse pointer over link and press down on scroll wheel; usual response is to "open link in new window".

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Maybe a suggestion? On a mouse with a scroll wheel, place mouse pointer over link and press down on scroll wheel; usual response is to "open link in new window".

A general concern with the behavior of any web site created by any researcher using any software tool is that a user of said web site is probably not the researcher but rather the researcher's users. For example, even if the press down on the scroll wheel trick works, the researcher may know about the trick but the researcher's users are unlikely to know the trick.

This problem is probably a simple RM bug where the HTML code being generated by RM fails to include the target="_blank" parameter.

Jerry

#5 sue3

sue3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

Thanks - I'm aware of that - but I'm thinking of other users

Sue

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web tags