2 replies to this topic

#1 FOVeteran

FOVeteran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

So I've tootled around the help windows and message board and faqs, but am not finding the answer to this question, "Can I have Ancestry.com web hints without tree sharing?" If so, how?

Thanks.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:32 AM

No, ancestry.com's webhints in RM requires TreeShare.

Suppose you have a tree at ancestry.com and that you are not an RM user at all. In this environment, you get hints at ancestry.com. The hints manifest themselves as shaky leaves. The hints are specific to your tree at ancestry.com, and have nothing to do with anybody else's tree at ancestry.com.

Now suppose you start using RM and suppose you want your RM to have Webhints for ancestry.com. The first thing to know is that if RM is seeing Webhints for ancestry.com, what it is really seeing is ancestry.com's shaky leaves. In order for RM to see ancestry.com's shaky leaves, the shaky leaves have to exist. For the shaky leaves to exist, you have to have a tree at ancestry.com. And for RM to see your shaky leaves at ancestry.com, your RM database has to be linked together with your tree at ancestry.com. The feature in RM that links your RM database with your tree at ancestry.com is TreeShare.

Jerry

#3 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:45 AM

The short answer is no.

Tree share works by either uploading a RM database to Ancestry or downloading an Ancestry database to a new RM database. The process creates an Ancestry link id in the RM database which is then used to query Ancestry for hints. As part of the upload process you can set the newly created Ancestry database to be private and Ancestry members cannot see it. Without a paid Ancestry account you cannot see the details of any hints anyway so I don't see any benefits to uploading.