• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KittyCity

KittyCity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:23 AM

and a couple things that bother me are that when I click on a name in the database, it does not always come up at the bottom left as to the relationship of the person selected with the root person.  You seem to have to go to the set relationship thing and redo it all the time and even then it doesn't seem to work real well or for long.  Also, it should also show relationship by marriage, so it might say "wife of 2nd cousin once removed" or something. Otherwise you are left to do a bunch of happy horse crap to figure out how this person is related.

Another thing that I don't like is the whole light bulb thing. If you go to a screen that has only one light bulb, or a few or even none or whatever, you have to just sit there and wait and see IF a light bulb shows up???  How long are you supposed to wait, a minute, 5 minutes, all day, what?  Another thing that is unhandy is when you have a name with no facts yet, and you want to add birth and death info, you have to do it one at a time by add a fact, search b, click on birth add that info, save it.  Then add a fact, search d, click on death...etc.  Why not just be able to just click on something like "add birth/death info" since that is the most common info.

My other hang up is not only with this program but with some others like it. I don't want LDS Mormon stuff in my program. I don't believe LDS/Mormon stuff, I think their religion is a false one and a cult, and I really don't want it intertwined in my program. You should be able to nuke all that stuff or better yet, only add it to your program if you want it. Maybe that's "bigoted" but it is what it is. And the fact that I cannot delete "built in" facts I don't need and will never use and don't want to see at all just makes it worse.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8029 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

Set Relationship isn't automatic when you add new individuals to the database. That is why you need to run it again.

On the WebHints are you thinking of something to show it did look for the WebHints and found none? I don't think we have that as a suggestion on our enhancement list yet. Right now we just have to wait for the providers API to report back if something was found. 

You can uncheck LDS Options under Tools>File Options>General. That doesn't prevent the import of LDS facts if you receive it from another source. If you have them in your database you can strip them out with a drag n drop. Go to Lists>Fact Type List and edit each LDS fact so it's not included in GEDCOM. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 KittyCity

KittyCity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

Not automatic is probably why I see it happening then.

The web hints thing is frustrating only because you don't know how long is long enough to wait.

It isn't just the lds stuff, something like "Bar Mitzvah" or whatever, don't need it, don't want it to even show up in the add fact thing.

#4 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

A large amount of information that you use to enable you to enjoy the fruit of your labor are largely supplied by the efforts of members of the Latter Day Saints. 

As far as Jewish FACTS, all people groups are interested in their family history. The Jewish nation has kept genealogy records for over 6,000 years. 

And because of their efforts, LDS and Jewish peoples, you have the information you use to create your family history.

Reminds me of a story Abe told: "When Henry was hungry, his wife fixed him food. According to Henry, it was always cold, didn't taste right, didn't look right and complained on and on. But he never missed a meal."

OH! by the way Happy Hanukkah!