7 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:28 AM

I reach a marriage record. Neither the bride nor the groom are already in the database; but the groom's parents are; along with numerous children. When I scroll down and add a child, with that groom's information, and hit OK, the fame family shows up, with the wrong child pre-selected. I have increassed the font size for easier reading, and it highlights the last child shown instead of the last child on the list. This greatly increases the risk that I might add the spouse to the wrong one.

Specifically, I increased the font size and the first five children show. The fifth is highlighted. Maybe you have this problem anyway, but with so many more children showing on the standard font, it does not manifest this problem as often. While you are working on this, please also consider automatic sorting of children by birth date.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:48 AM

Which main view are you in?

I added a child from Family View as a test. If I clicked on the empty space at the bottom of the list of children to initiate the process, the newly added child was highlighted after having been added. If I clicked on the father and did an Add Child, the child was added correctly and the father remained highlighted.

It seems to me that both behaviors are correct.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8029 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

I am not following the steps in this description. Especially to the point the wrong child is selected. Can you walk us through this in more detail. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:34 PM

It has to be a family that already has a list of children. I have the font size increased and only the first five children show up. I scroll down to the empty area below the last child, click there and add another child. Immediately after adding a sixth or later child, (in Family view) the first five show up, the fifth one is highlit instead of the last one.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

My test was exactly like yours. In the same situation, mine highlights the newly added child.

Jerry

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3405 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:05 AM

It has to be a family that already has a list of children. I have the font size increased and only the first five children show up. I scroll down to the empty area below the last child, click there and add another child. Immediately after adding a sixth or later child, (in Family view) the first five show up, the fifth one is highlit instead of the last one.

Yes, to reproduce, open Rootsmagic to full screen then:

Tools->Program Options->Display->Main screen font->Times New Roman (Size 29 or greater affords only 6 or less children to fully appear in the list)

and then performing < +Click to add a child > *DOES* wind up by returning to the screen and highlighting the 5th listed child (or even lower-numbered ones as the font size is increased)

Size 28 (or lower) makes room for 7th child to be listed & highlighted

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3173 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

Tools->Program Options->Display->Main screen font->Times New Roman (Size 29 or greater affords only 6 or less children to fully appear in the list)

Aha. Confirming that I can reproduce the problem by making the font large enough to force the end of the list of children off the screen.

Jerry

#8 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:51 PM

If you tested, be sure to remove the fictitious person before you forget.