9 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

After searching through past postings in this forum, I still have not found an answer for this question:

Why does Ancestry Tree Share post multiple listings for the same master source name to the RM master source list?

Every time I use Tree Share (or WebHints) to add an event/fact with a source to RM from Ancestry, a new master source entry is made to the RM master source list for the source imported. Of course the source text and source details are different, but why is the master source list updated with the same name (new master source list instance) each time a new citation is loaded to RM?

I use prefixes added to master source names to help with the searching for master sources, given the current poor search functionality in RM for the master list. (example - [CEN] for a Census master source). If I do not constantly merge the master source names as they come in to RM from Tree Share, I will end up with a huge number of redundant master source names. This makes searching for a master source much more difficult.

My concerns are:

1) the amount of time all this takes to accomplish on an on going basis.

2) the exponential growth of my master source list.

Any comments/ suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

The Ancestry API can't tell that you already are using that source in RM. When adding a source make sure all the options are checked to add or update facts that are using it before Accepting Changes for the person. If the sources are identical then going to Lists>Source List>AutoMerge should merge them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

(Ancestry.com)

The Ancestry API can't tell that you already are using that source in RM. When adding a source make sure all the options are checked to add or update facts that are using it before Accepting Changes for the person. If the sources are identical then going to Lists>Source List>AutoMerge should merge them. 

Thanks Renee,

That's kind of what I thought. I've found that the auto merge only works if the new source is "totally" identical to any already in the data base. This does not really address any brought to RM from sources other than Ancestry (such as FamilySearch etc.), or those added manually. However, the manual merge works well, and it is easier to do once a prefix for sorting is added to the new source brought into RM. it just takes a while. I'd like to also request that improvements in the master source sorting and search capabilities be considered. 

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

Confirming that is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

Renee,
I took a few minutes to jot down the process I am currently using for completing the details for sources imported from Ancestry using WebHints. (The same basic steps can also be used to complete sources added using Tree Share.) This requires many (many-many) mouse clicks to accomplish but seems to do the best job I have found. I would appreciate any additional thoughts on how to make this method more efficient.

(It sounds worse than it really is, once you get used to the process.)

Thanks
Rick

Steps:
1 - Goto WebHints, determine new fact/event to be added to RM from A.com for a person, add the fact/event using the normal process.
2 - Highlight WebHint record in Record Hints and view on line in Ancestry (click view on line button).
3 - When Ancestry record screen appears, click Print button to display print preview screen.
4 - When print preview screen appears, highlight the record details including the source citation, source information, and original data. [Cntrl/C] to copy to clipboard. Close print preview screen, Ancestry record screen, and return to RM WebHints screen.
5 - Click the Edit RM person button and then highlight the Fact related to the source data saved. Double click on the source block for this fact to open the Citation Manager screen. Double click the source record being worked to open the Edit Source screen. Click on the Detail Text button to open the Research Notes screen.  Click into the research notes field and use [Cntrl/V] to paste the source details into this field.
6 - Scroll down the Source Text to "Source Information" and highlight the Source Information and Original Data text. Use [Cntrl/X] to cut this text and place it on the clip board.
7 - Click on the Master Text button to open the Master Text - Source Text screen. Use [Cntrl/V] to paste the clip board into the Master Source Text field.
8 - Click on the Citation button to open the Edit Source - Citation screen. Edit the Master Source title field to insert the "user preferred" master source title prefix in this field. [Example - "1930 Unted States Federal Census" becomes "[CEN] 1930 Unted States Federal Census"]. Click OK button at bottom of screen. The focus will now return to the RM Edit Person screen. Edit the Description field for the Fact being worked if/as desired.
9. Repeat steps 1-9 for all facts/events to be added to a person from WebHints to RM.

Notes: 
Adding user preferred master source title prefixes as new source records are added to RM is more efficient than attempting to update them at a later time.

Use of master source name prefixes automatically groups the master source list by the prefix. This makes searching for similar or duplicate master source names easier, and helps facilitate the use of the merge tools to get rid of duplicates. The merging process can be completed any time after new master sources have been added to the list. It is usually done on a periodic, "housekeeping", schedule.

RickL

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:59 PM

I just copy the source from Ancestry to RM and then open the Edit Person screen to get to the source citation. I then add the transcription of the census record to the Source's Research Notes and any comments I want to make. I will memorize and paste the source to anyone else the source applies to. Since Ancestry doesn't include the transcription with the source its the best I can do.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:40 PM

I just copy the source from Ancestry to RM and then open the Edit Person screen to get to the source citation. I then add the transcription of the census record to the Source's Research Notes and any comments I want to make. I will memorize and paste the source to anyone else the source applies to. Since Ancestry doesn't include the transcription with the source its the best I can do.  

Yea, me too. Either way we are having to go to Ancestry, find the source details, then paste them into RM. Seems like there should be a better way.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

(Ancestry.com)

Thanks Renee,

That's kind of what I thought. I've found that the auto merge only works if the new source is "totally" identical to any already in the data base. This does not really address any brought to RM from sources other than Ancestry (such as FamilySearch etc.), or those added manually. However, the manual merge works well, and it is easier to do once a prefix for sorting is added to the new source brought into RM. it just takes a while. I'd like to also request that improvements in the master source sorting and search capabilities be considered. 

Thanks

Rick

Renee,

Please allow me one more question on this topic ------

I think I was a little confused about the "merge'" tool in the "Source List".

I thought the auto-merge woud only work if the entire source, and not just the "Master Source" was identical.

So I ran a couple of tests. It appears that the "Auto Merge" will work so long as the information in the "Master Source" tab of the "Source List" is identical. The other tabs (Citation, Media, and Repository) can contain different information and the "Auto Merge" will merge all sources with the same "Master Source" data. In my tests I saw that the master source tab data would merge, but the citation data (for example) would remain the same. Thus if you merge two sources with the same Master Source "Name", you end up with one "Master Source Name" in the "Source List" with two citations attached. Going back and looking at citations in my tree after the merge confirms this.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick

RickL

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

Yes, your description sounds like what it is designed to do.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:29 PM

Yes, your description sounds like what it is designed to do.

OK great. That really helps. My objective is to reduce the number of different Master Source names for the same basic master source in the list. Because I have added so many sources from manual look ups and other programs in the past this gives me a way of cleaning those up. I just add a common prefix to the source depending on type, they group in the Master Source list automatically, and I review and manually merge as needed. Since Ancestry supplied sources have consistent Master Source names, the auto-merge really works well to combine those periodically.I had totally over looked this feature in the past.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL