#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Add these as optional features:

Automatically sort children by birth date.

Automatically color code:

In compiling a database for one of my ancestral towns, I have adopted this practice:

I use blue for my children and all of their ancestors. I use red for all of the descendants of my ancestors. I use maroon for the spouses of either red or blue.

At one point I was using red for the descendants of my ancestors "Include spouses"  This led to a problem because when a red-coded stepmother married a red-coded step-father, I wondered how the children could still be un-coded. More than once I have had to wipe out all the colors (which should require confirmation by the user, lest valuable colo-coding be accidentally removed.)

Then with a click, the parents of all the spouses should be made a different color. This allows for an export with the customery parents of spouses, who are not easily includable any other way, but by selecting by color, they can be included in a GEDCOM export.

A majority of the records for that town are still black in color, but when I added the 1915 births, there were 100 of them and 23 were red-coded, therefore the descendants of my ancestors. Sometimes a red-coded groom marries a red-coded bride, and in many cases they are not related by blood.

Persons using the free RootsMagic Essentials should know that color-coding is not available on that product. Upgrading to the paid version has that advantage, which is up to you.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic