'would like to see a easy way to email a person [ one click option ]

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:44 PM

You can, but you have to have the person selected in the right screen. From Edit Person, click on the Address button and then the Write Email button, provided the Email address field has been filled in. Or, open Lists > Address List, double-click on the person or select the person and click on the Edit Address button to open the Edit Address window and click on the Send Email button, assuming the email address has been filled in.

However, this only works with a MAPI mail client running on your pc, not with a web mail window in your Internet browser. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:06 PM

However, this only works with a MAPI mail client running on your pc, not with a web mail window in your Internet browser. 

And my experience is that very few people these days use a MAPI client on their PC. Most everybody uses Web mail on a browser.

Jerry

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:11 AM

And my experience is that very few people these days use a MAPI client on their PC. Most everybody uses Web mail on a browser.

Jerry

While I think you are right, personally I think its worth having an email client as well, I use IMAP accounts, so there are duplicate  folders on the webmail site and your PC(s)  so you can use which ever you prefer day to day but 'click to email' links still work on you PC via the client. Windows has 'Mail' pre installed or there are alternatives like Thunderbird (my preference) and many others :-)

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:56 AM

I also use Thunderbird - excellent software and it's free.

The problem with Thunderbird or the Windows built in mail client or any other such MAPI client is that they can be difficult to configure, especially for users who are not fluent with computers. When the configuration process starts asking questions about server names and port numbers and IMAP parameters, it can be hard to come up with the correct answers, even for users who are fluent with computers. It would be much easier if all you had to do to set up an email client was to give your email user name and password. It would be easier still if there were some sort of way to make browser based email clients work with MAPI.

Jerry

#6 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

I would have agreed with that a few years ago Jerry but when I setup Thunderbird on this computer about 3 years ago and on a new one last month all I had to provide was my email addresses and passwords, Thunderbird knew all the other info (although I could have provided it if needed - see below) I don't even use one of the major email providers and the addresses are using my domain name so hardly well known.

I did try Windows Mail (not a fan) a while ago and from memory it was much the same and knew all the server info.

I just looked on my email provider's website and here is a simple one page sheet showing all the settings.

Perhaps some would struggle but if fairly confident with computers I would have thought its easy to do and  adds useful functionally - but its just my approach  :-) 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RM8