#81 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

Jerry:

Right. I assumed no change in the original media folder but it would be too easy to restore from a backup with media and lose all that subfolder organization. In future I will not include media in a backup file.

#82 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

I have also been following this thread with interest, and I was also not aware that backing up my media files using RM Backup could result in a loss of sub-folder structure; and that this could require that the media file links would have to be recreated.

My concern now, after reading the various posts on this topic, is that if I have to restore my data base from an RM backup, that my links to the media files, in sub-folders, in my media directory may be lost.

However, I had decided some time ago not to store my media using media directory sub-folders. Instead, I use a combination of my personal media file naming conventions, and Windows tagging, to make searching easier. I save all my media in one single RM media directory.

I do not use RM to back up my media files, only my data base. I do back up my media files as part of my usual periodic PC backup to an external drive. I also make a separate, insurance, media directory backup to another external drive, on a weekly basis.

I had assumed that so long as the path to my media directory was not changed, regardless of whether or not the media directory had to be restored from one of my non-RM backups, that the media links in my RM database would be OK.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Rick

RickL

#83 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3439 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

I had assumed that so long as the path to my media directory was not changed, regardless of whether or not the media directory had to be restored from one of my non-RM backups, that the media links in my RM database would be OK.

Since you have all your media in a single folder anyway, a restore will not destroy any subfolder structure. But a restore will likely place the media files in a different "single folder" than where they were before the restore. Whether you start out with multiple media subfolders or with only a single media folder, after a restore the media files will be correctly linked to the new location for the media files.

Jerry

#84 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

OK, Thanks Jerry

That is what I thought, but I have never tested an RM and PC/Media directory restore. I assume you would direct the media directory restore to the media directory path established by the RM restore. This makes me feel more comfortable in case I ever have to.

Appreciate the feed back.

Rick

RickL