83 replies to this topic

#21 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

Just to be clear, I'm assuming you could run this as often as you wanted/needed to in order to change future media file downloads from TreeShare. Seems this would need to be done on an ongoing basis, right?

Yes, it was designed to rename only those media files downloaded from Ancestry by TreeShare that have not been already renamed. So it should be reusable on an ongoing basis until RM or Ancestry change something that breaks it. I confess to not being an active researcher cum TreeShare user and have not been reusing the script since it was developed and successfully tested.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#22 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:34 AM

Got it - I'll back up and copy everything before I try it.

Just to be clear, I'm assuming you could run this as often as you wanted/needed to in order to change future media file downloads from TreeShare. Seems this would need to be done on an ongoing basis, right?

Thanks again

Rick

Hi Tom,

Test was successful and I have also updated my live database. Of course, this did not do anything for the media files that I had manually loaded in the past, but I like the naming syntaxes used in the script, and I plan to apply them to any new media that I load. In addition, I will use the same when editing or reviewing my old stuff. 

I very much appreciate the help.

Thanks 

Rick

RickL

#23 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

I also do not keep any photos/pictures, anywhere near the database for RM.  Mine are in D drive RMGenPhotos and sub divided by surname.    All my RM data back up and regular files are like my D drive  under Genealogy/Rootsmagic.. My D drive is a split from the C drive and because have always donw this, when I was hit in Sept with a virus, I only had to reclone the C drive.   My D Drive and all USB drives are sectioned by

ADT Docs [all non genealogy files] and

ADT Genealogy/sub divided by

1. Surname/Alpha list of  which includes all files that belong to the specific family
  2. Records Management/Working Files
  3. Resources/Calibre library +
  4. Research  / Todo lists or research that doesn't fit in the Surname files
  5. Census/ Indexes etc...
  6. Software other
  7. RootsMagic
  8. OneNote is also Sectioned by Surname [Used this process in Evernote also.]

I am not as detailed as zhangrau.   If I am working with a single family I want all files for that family in one folder. Hard copy and electronic files so don't waste time searching for a file. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#24 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

Rick,

Perhaps some of you would call me old-school, and that's just fine with me.

I use my subscriptions to Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com and GenealogyBank.com as essential Repositories of data and images.

I do NOT have an online tree with Ancestry nor FamilySearch, so I never see any Web Hints. I'm quite accustomed to doing my own searches.

I rename every image and PDF during the download process, and place the new file into my appropriate subfolder. Often, I open those media files in Photoshop and/or Paint for additional edits. Then I go back to RM and tag those files to a Master Source, Citation, Place, Person and/or Fact. During that step I assign a Caption and Description to each media file.

File > Properties currently shows 25.7K multimedia files and 160.3K multimedia links. So, each media file has approx. 6-1/4 links. I can update the Caption and Description from any one of those links, and it takes effect for every related link. That's very helpful when I detect misspellings or other errors of omission.

Here's the current top-level organization of my media files. Note that a bunch of these top-level folders include subfolders. For example, there is a separate Census subfolder for each census year from 1681 to 1956.

media-subfolders-20181216.png

Okay... well I suddenly feel extremely disorganized. Great job!

#25 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

I suppose there would not be a problem keeping all of my media on one of my web servers as the master media collection and linking to it via an URL, would there? That would be nice as it would be consistent everywhere.

I have purchased but have yet to install TNG for hosting a web site containing my famlly tree. I'm not sure if those files are kept in distinct files or not, but assuming that they are, this would be a great integration that would be easy for me to maintain wherever I need the media - like WikiTree for example.

#26 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

RM7 only connects to media on a local drive. It does not support URLs.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#27 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

That's too bad. Now I have a new project on fooling RM7 into thinking that an URL is really a local file on the hard drive.  :D

There is always a way. Heh. Thanks for letting me know in advance.

#28 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:24 PM

That's too bad. Now I have a new project on fooling RM7 into thinking that an URL is really a local file on the hard drive.  :D

Intrigued by that thought, I looked into some possibilities although they are not exactly what you might be suggesting ("an URL is really a local file on the hard drive").

Map Network Drive
I had read that a FTP server or website could be added as a Network Location so I tried that with a FTP server. No matter what I tried in the URL, I kept getting the error "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid. Please choose another." Digging further, this was determined to be a misleading message and the fault lay with Chrome having removed key Windows Registry entries for ftp. These are readily restored with a script downloadable from this discussion from 2011, the last post of which related that the same issue had been seen in Win 10 and fixed the same way. I succeeded then in establishing the Network Location but it is not one that can be mapped to a drive letter within Windows itself. Also there is no preview, no drag'n'drop into the RM Media Gallery. One can add a new media item through the Gallery but the resulting path is to the downloaded file in the Internet Explorer cache, e.g., C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\KAB0PATB\CitationSort[1].png Hardly a step in the right direction

Mountain Duck
I had already dabbled with Cyberduck so I was aware of this related product:

Mountain Duck lets you mount server and cloud storage as a disk in Finder on macOS and the File Explorer on Windows. Open remote files with any application and work like on a local volume.

So I installed it. It used the established connection bookmark from Cyberduck and generated a G drive from the FTP site (+ an H drive from another FTP and an I drive from a Google Drive bookmark). The UI is a simple menu accessible from the Task Bar or system tray. In Win File Explorer, preview and thumbnail icons are (slowly) generated but for fast operations they should be turned off. Drag'n'drop from Win Explorer to the Media Gallery does work. The resulting path is, e.g., G:\public_html\wsfiles\files\ColorCode-byConsanguinityColorTable2.PNG

That's better and I think I could have set the mount-point for G to the "files" folder itself instead of the FTP root folder. Mountain Duck can also mount Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive hosts to virtual drives without having a local sync folder.

Just for fun, I put a RM database onto it. Forget it! The performance hit on access to static files is bad enough; SQLite was never designed for network drives, let alone those with the latency of the Internet.

MD is available for trial for a couple of weeks and costs US$39 for a single-user license on as many computers as that user uses. https://mountainduck.io/

Edited by TomH, 30 December 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#29 MarieCusack

MarieCusack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

Rick,

Perhaps some of you would call me old-school, and that's just fine with me.

I use my subscriptions to Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com and GenealogyBank.com as essential Repositories of data and images.

I do NOT have an online tree with Ancestry nor FamilySearch, so I never see any Web Hints. I'm quite accustomed to doing my own searches.

I rename every image and PDF during the download process, and place the new file into my appropriate subfolder. Often, I open those media files in Photoshop and/or Paint for additional edits. Then I go back to RM and tag those files to a Master Source, Citation, Place, Person and/or Fact. During that step I assign a Caption and Description to each media file.

File > Properties currently shows 25.7K multimedia files and 160.3K multimedia links. So, each media file has approx. 6-1/4 links. I can update the Caption and Description from any one of those links, and it takes effect for every related link. That's very helpful when I detect misspellings or other errors of omission.

Here's the current top-level organization of my media files. Note that a bunch of these top-level folders include subfolders. For example, there is a separate Census subfolder for each census year from 1681 to 1956.

media-subfolders-20181216.png

Hello Zhangrau, Thanks so much for sharing your media file subfolder system. I am just starting to add media files to my RM database. But before I get too far along I wanted to know what the experts recommended for a filing and naming system. Your screenshot is very helpful but it's not clear though how you name each individual file within each subfolder. Do you have a naming convention? Could you show a screenshot of one of your subfolders like "photos"? Thank you! Marie

#30 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:34 PM

My subfolder structure is very similar except that I don't yet have as many categories of documents. As far as the file names themselves are concerned, here is a short sampling. The marriage files are in a marriage subfolder. The birth files are in a birth subfolder. Etc. All of these are under a master sub-folder called rm_media.

Jerry

adams_stephen_and_tracy_hobbs_marriage_index.pdf
adams_stephen_lynn_and_tracy_michelle_hobbs_marriage_application.jpg
adams_stephen_lynn_and_tracy_michelle_hobbs_marriage_license.jpg
allbritton_danny_and_emilee_wright_marriage.png
beason_linda_and_larry_mink_marriage.jpg

bryan_lena_maude_birth_verification.jpg
bryan_marley_ruth_birth_announcement.png
bryan_william_jackson_birth_certificate.jpg
burney_codi_lynn_birth_index.jpg

#31 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:54 PM

My general file-naming scheme is something like this:

date_state_person_pg#line#_otherdefininginfo_originalfilename

I've taken screen caps of portions of three folders: marriages, military, and newspapers-com

In most cases, the "date" is just the year, but sometimes it is the actual date, using an 8-digit number: yyyymmdd

When I began collecting and linking media to RM, I was deleting the "originalfilename", and only started including it when I realized just how helpful the "originalfilename" was in ensuring that every media filename was unique.

That's essential in any well-developed filenaming scheme: EVERY filename must be unique.

rm7-marriages-folder-screenshot.png

rm7-military-folder-screenshot.png

rm7-newspapers-com-folder-screenshot.png

#32 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

FWIW...here's what I do.

When I initially started saving documents, I put a lot of thought into how to organize them on my harddrive. My initial thought was to organize items into subfolders like census, immigration, military, etc. But then I thought about the data and asked myself how will it be used.

Genealogy is a people-centric activity. Sure we collect data like censuses and draft cards but it's all to support the PEOPLE. So while those documents are vitally important to our research, they are not the goal of the research...the people are.

So this led me to using a people-centirc system and not breaking things into a bunch of subfolders that centered around the documents. Therefore I also use a filename where it relates to the people. The file name convention that I use is:

First Last (bxxxx) - Description

For example for someone named Bob Smith born in 1900, I might have the following files:

Bob Smith (b1900) - 1940 US Census
Bob Smith (b1900) - Ellis Immigration Pg1
Bob Smith (b1900) - Ellis Immigration Pg2

I find the advantage of this is it's easy for me to see all the files for a particular person by just scrolling to their name in the directory. The other advantage is that as I hand these files out to my family, it very easy for them to find files for people they're interested in without having to learn a software program or searching for files.

There are also a couple of possible drawbacks. So far for all of my work, using the name and birth date has proved to be a unique identifier for everyone in my database. However, you could certainly run into issues if you had more than one Bob Smith that was born in 1900.

The other potentially drawback is your directory could become large and unwieldy. However, I have several thousand files and it still proves to work well so far.

This system has worked well for my workflow, however, everyone works a little differently and there are many ways to skin the cat. And, there may well be big advantages to other systems that I haven't realized. Judging by the other posts, it looks like I'm odd man out with using this setup but just thought you'd like another perspective. :-)

#33 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:21 PM

Thanks, cj1260.

Useful thoughts....

#34 MarieCusack

MarieCusack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

Thank you all for sharing your approaches for file naming. I think I will take a bit of advice from everyone and create media sub-folders for each main family tree, then within each sub-folder name each file by date-place-family tree-type of media-description-original file name. Thank you experts! Marie

#35 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

One final bit of advice, Marie.

Windows has, since it's inception, imposed a maximum length (character count) to a path and file name, most recently about 256 characters.

That includes the drive, path, filename, extension, and any separator characters.

One of my actual examples:

E:\0_genes\media\newspaper\18320829_MA_david-greeley_&_hannah-h-smith_40699_2221301230_7199-00838.jpg

drive = 2

path = 7 + 5 + 9

filename = 69

extension = 3

separators = 5

=================

total length = 100 (using most of the screen width, but well within the 256 limit)

I keep my folder names short, which leaves most of the character count available for the filename.

Windows 10 has enabled a new system permitting "long" file names up to 32,767 characters. That's a whopping long paragraph for a filename, and I can't imagine needing to put that much info into a filename, but the kids at Microsoft apparently had some fun programming that.... can you imagine using a filename THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY TIMES LONGER than my example? Nope, me neither.

https://www.itprotod...port-windows-10

#36 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

On older versions of Windows, I have lost some files moving from old computers to new computers.  Some files have not moved and are stranded on the old computer.  I have suspected that the total file string of moving deep directory file structures to named backup sets on DVD's has exceeded the maximum allowable length.

They are still recoverable as long as I have the old computer.

#37 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1522 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

Absolutely correct - the file storage system of floppy disks, CD's, DVD's, and possibly USB drives also have their own limitations.

I helped someone, about a year or so ago, who was certain he had saved his files on his Win7 computer, but could not find them anymore. Since he knew his storage system, it took only about 15 minutes to verify that his multi-nested folders had created a path+file length over 256 characters. Win7 let him create the file, but would not show it in a File Open window. We solved the problem by taking some characters out of the various nested folders, and presto, his files were both present and available.

#38 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:16 PM

Some programs in windows still impose a path length of 256 characters. I’ve experienced zhangrau’s issue at work with long file names and folders that have a lot of characters.

My advice, is to developer folder names that are short, and contrary to everyone’s advice to not name files with anything but a coded reference number.

I use file attributes and a well developed reference number for all of my photos which number well over 200,000. As a professional computer geek and a trained librarian I prefer developing a file naming convention that resembles a cataloging system and using a database to store information about the images, documents and pdf files that contain my genealogy information, as well as photos from vacations, articles for publications I’ve written (along with the research I did for the article) as well as the artifacts in my various collections, I’m a collector but my wife says I’m a “pack rat”!

#39 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

Some programs in windows still impose a path length of 256 characters. I’ve experienced zhangrau’s issue at work with long file names and folders that have a lot of characters.

My advice, is to developer folder names that are short, and contrary to everyone’s advice to not name files with anything but a coded reference number.

This is very interesting to me. I am currently struggling with the whole media naming <> RM <>A.com thing and syncing my data base media to my windows media directory. Could you share your "coded reference number" structure list? 

Being several years into RM, I have thousands of saved media items. Converting all this, and then syncing back to RM seems daunting. However, I'm always looking for ways to improve my processes.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#40 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

As a professional computer geek and a trained librarian I prefer developing a file naming convention that resembles a cataloging system and using a database to store information about the images, documents and pdf files that contain my genealogy information....

I'm glad you brought this up. I meant to touch upon it in my original post.

For me, a cataloging system was always the technically correct way of doing it (i.e. what a professional librarian would do). The benefits of this are big (i.e. searchability), however, as much as I would have liked to implement a catalog, I went in another direction. The two deciding factors for me were the additional time I'd spend to maintain the database and, more importantly, I couldn't just hand off files to my relatives without them learning the cataloging system. Even though a catalog is how a library or museum would do it, after weighing the pros and cons based on my personal preferences, I chose not to do it.

Seems there are always trade-offs in life. :)