10 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

A small functional discrepancy which could easily cause confusion is where Family List has not been updated to the same functionality as Index and Explorer.

IIRC it was the case many versions ago where surname, [space] forename needed to be typed to steer to the correct place in the index, now just surname comma forename is required without any spaces, I could be wrong and can't remember whn it changed, however it is not the case now.

However in Family List it is necessary to type surname comma space forename to drive to the correct point in the list, just another miss and hope gets an update to mirror the same functionality throughout.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'm not needing to add the space between surname comma and forename in the Family List. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm not needing to add the space between surname comma and forename in the Family List. 

I'm confused as I do but maybe I didn't explain it right.

I'm referring to Search Family List, If I type "Doe,John" no space then it stops on the first Doe and not where it would on Index or RM Explorer. If I type "Doe, John" then it will highlight the first John Doe. This is not the same functionality as Index or Explorer but if I remember far enough back it was this way many years ago, maybe even before RM4.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 05:36 PM

Yes, ALL incremental search controls work with <surname comma space given> . ONLY Search Family List DOES NOT support <surname comma given>

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

Very peculiar because I don't have to add a space in the Search>Family List. I tried sorting on Father and Mother too. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3535 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

There is definitely something wrong with Search>Family followed by typing in a surname followed by a given name. For one thing, mine is excruciatingly slow as compared to everything else in RM. And mine definitely requires the space after the comma and before typing the first letter of the given name. If you follow the comma with a non-blank character it acts like it is locking up. It is not really locking up. It just doesn't match anything.

The slowness is so extreme that it does make it hard to test accurately.

Jerry

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 06:03 AM

Yes, ALL incremental search controls work with <surname comma space given> . ONLY Search Family List DOES NOT support <surname comma given>

There is definitely something wrong with Search>Family followed by typing in a surname followed by a given name. For one thing, mine is excruciatingly slow as compared to everything else in RM. And mine definitely requires the space after the comma and before typing the first letter of the given name. If you follow the comma with a non-blank character it acts like it is locking up. It is not really locking up. It just doesn't match anything.

The slowness is so extreme that it does make it hard to test accurately.

Jerry

Thanks for the confirmations, I think my lack of detail may have misled Renee towards the Family sidebar.

I make quite some use of this as UK & Ireland census returns give no clue to the maiden name of the wife, therefore a partnership and forename only for the wife, these later become matched to marriage or birth of children registries therefore my use of this list, which like other features could be improved :D

Root

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

Nope not in the Family Sidebar. I was in Search>Family List. Not sure why we have different results. I'm testing on my PC. I don't imagine both of you are on Macs now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3535 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:21 PM

I don't know about both of us, but all of me is on a Windows 10 PC, 16GB, four processor cores, etc. It runs really fast for most things most of the time. The slowness with Search>Family List is an outlier with how my machine normally performs.

I think we should be careful not conflate my slowness (I think I'm the only one reporting the slowness) with the problem with the blank. It's hard to imagine any universe in which the problem with the blank as supported by multiple users would not be completely repeatable for all users.

Jerry

#10 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

Nope not in the Family Sidebar. I was in Search>Family List. Not sure why we have different results. I'm testing on my PC. I don't imagine both of you are on Macs now.

No I'm still on a Windows PC i7 16gb and I also find Search>Family List hesitant to say the least but it is strange that Jerry kbens0n and myself all experience the same result with this list requiring a space to be inserted whereas functionality elsewhere does not.

At first I thought it was jump to surname only and was going to submit an enhancement request but then tried inserting the space which I kind of remember from maybe RM3 days.

Renee, whatever you have in your computer, can we all have a share :D

Root

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 04:00 PM

Ok, I watched myself really, really carefully. I discovered there is an ever so quick tap on the space bar when I type surname comma. I do it in all my lists, it's second nature for me. So yes I suppose then you do need the comma on the Family list, if you're not into the habit of adding one in the other lists too. I tend to think it was designed to add the space. The reason I say that is when you look at the lists you will see a space after the comma and before the given name. 

Renee
RootsMagic