136 replies to this topic

#121 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

How about now? It's 2021 and the explicit promise of RM8 when it is released in 2019 is unquestionably a lie.

Bradly, you are already a member of the RM8 Community Preview. You are using this software. I'm sorry we could not foresee earlier all that would delayed the release of RM8. We will still not release this software until we are satisfied it is as stable as it can be. No one has lied or been dishonest in this process. We are only doing our best. It's time for you to give this a rest. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#122 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 11:50 AM

I'd have called it a pious hope rather than a lie, albeit a disappointed hope.

It's clear that RM8 — to which I haven't committed myself yet for a variety of reasons — exists now, at least in embryo. Every three days or so there is new version. The program seems to be improving.

RootsMagic can properly be taxed with putting insufficient resources into programming RM8 and then with paying too much attention to the user interface and not enough to data manipulation.

Every "promise" for future action is contingent — inshallah, the creeks don't rise, etc.

#123 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:31 AM

Small company with limited resources and familiarity with mac os. Made the mistake of going for an ancestry treeshare feature to compete with FTM 2019 Hints that does not work well due to the very different data structures.

No fibbing, just many unexpected problems and very limited resources for such a major task. Just hope they can survive long enough to get a live RM8 out the door. Cash flow from product development, loss of all their mac and now some windows users (with the forum closing) and few new sales must be horrible.

#124 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 12:25 PM

Small company with limited resources and familiarity with mac os. Made the mistake of going for an ancestry treeshare feature to compete with FTM 2019 Hints that does not work well due to the very different data structures.

No fibbing, just many unexpected problems and very limited resources for such a major task. Just hope they can survive long enough to get a live RM8 out the door. Cash flow from product development, loss of all their mac and now some windows users (with the forum closing) and few new sales must be horrible.

I think they have bitten off more than they can chew but it will amaze how many entrenched users will just move on to a less productive upgrade? with many features missing, just watch.

It's interesting the user group on Facebook has 10 times as many members as the preview group which everyone was impatient for, I see users leave all the time but think I am still blocked from commenting too close to the truth, how childish.

#125 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:05 PM

I think they have bitten off more than they can chew but it will amaze how many entrenched users will just move on to a less productive upgrade? with many features missing, just watch.

It's interesting the user group on Facebook has 10 times as many members as the preview group which everyone was impatient for, I see users leave all the time but think I am still blocked from commenting too close to the truth, how childish.

Facebook forum is apparently quite useless with the added benefit of serious privacy, malware and disinformation risks. The io forum feels clumsy to me.

Many of the most valuable message board posters have already left. Much harder to recover than to keep customers.

#126 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 02:00 PM

Many of the most valuable message board posters have already left. Much harder to recover than to keep customers.

Don't knock it, the next level have all stepped up and some of the #fakenews advice is actually quite amusing to read. :D

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Genealogy software comparison and how to videos

Root

#127 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 02:50 PM

Don't knock it, the next level have all stepped up and some of the #fakenews advice is actually quite amusing to read. :D

The RM8 Apologists have also marshaled forces; their marching orders are to justify everything that is deficient about RM8.

#128 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:56 PM

The RM8 Apologists have also marshaled forces; their marching orders are to justify everything that is deficient about RM8.

There's a cluster of people on there today who have only just discovered you can drag & drop media to RM7 and are demanding the feature they never knew about is restored to RM8, you couldn't make it up.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

Root

#129 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:42 AM

Well, I'm not demanding anything, but.........

I was not aware you could drag and drop media to RM7. Been doing this a long time.....

I know this is a little off topic but, I'd appreciate a quick description of how you do that.

Thanks,

Rick  :)

RickL

#130 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:28 AM

It's been a while since I've done it and I don't remember the details. But the basic idea is that you have two windows open side by side. One window is Windows File Explorer, opened to the folder containing the files you wish to link into RM. The other window is RM open to the RM Media Gallery. You may have to resize the windows to make them both fit on the screen at the same time. Then just drag and drop the files from Windows File Explorer to the RM Media Gallery.

Some RM users love this facility. I confess I have never quite seen the benefit. The reason is that getting the files linked into RM's Media Gallery doesn't seem to me to accomplish very much. You still have to tag the files to specific objects in RM such as People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places. And it's the latter task that's more time consuming. So I usually just use RM's Add process to the files directly to People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places. The Add process serves the dual process linking the files into the RM Media Gallery and tagging the files to the appropriate People, Names, etc. in RM. It's one file at a  time. But after a bulk drag and drop of files into RM's Media Gallery, each file still has to be tagged to the appropriate places in RM, one file at a time.

Jerry

#131 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:44 AM

It's been a while since I've done it and I don't remember the details. But the basic idea is that you have two windows open side by side. One window is Windows File Explorer, opened to the folder containing the files you wish to link into RM. The other window is RM open to the RM Media Gallery. You may have to resize the windows to make them both fit on the screen at the same time. Then just drag and drop the files from Windows File Explorer to the RM Media Gallery.

Some RM users love this facility. I confess I have never quite seen the benefit. The reason is that getting the files linked into RM's Media Gallery doesn't seem to me to accomplish very much. You still have to tag the files to specific objects in RM such as People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places. And it's the latter task that's more time consuming. So I usually just use RM's Add process to the files directly to People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places. The Add process serves the dual process linking the files into the RM Media Gallery and tagging the files to the appropriate People, Names, etc. in RM. It's one file at a  time. But after a bulk drag and drop of files into RM's Media Gallery, each file still has to be tagged to the appropriate places in RM, one file at a time.

Jerry

If this feature works like FTM on the mac it lets you add several media items (ie census, marriage, etc pdfs) at once to a person. Then you can just drag each media item to the fact it supports and source it. A common drag..drop feature on macs which is very efficient. 

#132 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:51 AM

Well, I'm not demanding anything, but.........

I was not aware you could drag and drop media to RM7. Been doing this a long time.....

I know this is a little off topic but, I'd appreciate a quick description of how you do that.

Thanks,

Rick  :)

Rick, it's very easy, see my video linked below.

https://www.youtube....h?v=25gkgOAgv3k

and don't forget to Subscribe if you want notifications of future honest videos.

Root

#133 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 04:03 PM

Rick, it's very easy, see my video linked below.

https://www.youtube....h?v=25gkgOAgv3k

and don't forget to Subscribe if you want notifications of future honest videos.

Vyger,

Thanks, the video was very helpful.

Rick

RickL

#134 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 04:27 PM

If this feature works like FTM on the mac it lets you add several media items (ie census, marriage, etc pdfs) at once to a person. Then you can just drag each media item to the fact it supports and source it. A common drag..drop feature on macs which is very efficient. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

I agree. It seems to me that just using the RM7 media functions, and my own media naming conventions , actually work just as well. My biggest problem comes from using Ancestry Tree Share, which saves media to my media directory with Ancestry's file name. I have to then find the file, modify the name, and then use properties in the RM record to change the media link to match my changes. This all works ok but is tedious and time consuming. I guess I was hoping for some new functionalty that would help automate this process.

Rick 

RickL

#135 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 10:39 AM

Jerry

Jerry, you can drag to any of the People, Names, Sources, Citations, Events, and Places, that is the advantage therefore it becomes tagged, you will see in my video that I am dragging the media to Media "Album" of the person tagged to the Burial event.

Personally this was the single feature which sealed my move to RM7 and I couldn't go back to doing it any other very long winded way but then I work on two fairly large screens so it's natural workflow.

I agree that dragging a complete folder or multiple images into Media "Gallery" is not so beneficial as they do then need to be tagged.

Root

#136 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:06 PM

I agree that dragging a complete folder or multiple images into Media "Gallery" is not so beneficial as they do then need to be tagged.

It may just be terminology, but when this question is asked my sense is that users wish to drag and drop dozens or hundreds of files into RM at the same time. That's where I don't see the benefit because of all the subsequent tagging that's required.

Jerry

#137 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:13 PM

Jerry; It is very handy to drag all of a person's new media found in a session into his media folder at once. Then you can drag one or more of the items to the appropriate facts and source each. ie 12 new media with 3 death documents/images to the death fact.

This is a common feature in most mac apps which makes for rapid, easy media additions. I use PDFs with the source and url info as part of the image and later enter the related citation specifics based on that. One reason I gave up on RM7 was it was so awkward to get media items in efficiently but this was partly due to using a windows xp program in a flaky fake mac environment.