109 replies to this topic

#101 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

I am a former user of Family Historian (I am still somehow, I keep switching among them) and this will be my first upgrade regarding RootsMagic.

Curiously I am gradually migrating the other way BUT I fully appreciate every user has different research needs. My current needs are more focused on data mining and the seemingly endless FH data views outstrip the current Rootsmagic offerings to a degree I just cannot see being filled in RM8, however as a long time user I remain ever hopeful.

As regards the current purchase offer if you wishing to stay with Rootsmagic regardless then you will save money by taking advantage of the offer.

I undertook not to publish any comparison videos until end of 2019 where development was meant to be closed but that may well change in 2020.

All in my humble opinion, of course.

Best wishes to all for the holiday season and New Year.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#102 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

#103 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

Tom,

I think I will fall into the "wait and see" camp.  It's not the $30 so much as it is my time. I'd rather spend it on my research instead of working through a learning curve, and possible bug fixes, with RM8. Hoping for the best.

Rick

Thanks Tom

#104 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 11:07 AM

Vyger,

I have been using many genealogy solutions so far since 1996, started with Brother's Keeper, then changed to PAF, then to Family Tree Maker, then to FamilyHistorian (the best solution I have found) and I am now working with Roots Magic too.

I have decided to integrate my data with FamilySearch, and FH has not a sync solution so far.

That is why I have started migrating to RootsMagic.

I lost my father suddenly 3 years ago. He was also a genealogist. By his death a huge amount of information has been also lost.

My decision was I should put my research online to be accessible to others.

If FH decides to add a sync capability. I would certainly keep working with them...

Vyger,

I have been using many genealogy solutions so far since 1996, started with Brother's Keeper, then changed to PAF, then to Family Tree Maker, then to FamilyHistorian (the best solution I have found) and I am now working with Roots Magic too.

I have decided to integrate my data with FamilySearch, and FH has not a sync solution so far.

I lost my father suddenly 3 years ago. He was also a genealogist. By his death a huge amount of information has been also lost.

My decision was I should put my research online to be accessible to others.

If FH decides to add a sync capability. I would certainly keep working with them...

#105 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 12:25 PM

......then to FamilyHistorian (the best solution I have found) and I am now working with Roots Magic too.

I agree and to balance my comments I should add the following;

* Family Historian presently has no Family Search or Ancestry interaction such as Treeshare, it does have webhints but I realize these are very important if not essential to many.

* Family Historian is a much more powerful analytical program than Rootsmagic with many more options and may appear overly complicated to some RM users.

* On the plus side Family Historian does have a visual ancestor view very similar to Ancestry which we have seen no hint of in RM8.

We have no idea yet what Family Historian 7 will deliver early 2020 and really cannot pitch the two products against each other fairly until after both upgrades are released. I embrace online hints but only use Ancestry Treeshare with minimal information as bait to form relationships with other serious researchers who may help forward my own research, however the genealogy world has changed and Rootsmagics investment in the Treeshare feature may well entice the majority on 21st century genealogists.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#106 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:43 PM

RM8 Preview -- Mapping:

https://www.youtube....h?v=FavYlD73vQE

#107 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:23 PM

I welcome th move from Bing to Openstreetmap I hope active geocoding is featured in also

#108 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

The RM8 Preview--Mapping  on You Tube has not been added to RM's blog.  That is where many go for updates on RM8.

#109 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

I have been using FamilyAtlas for mapping and  find the maps to be wanting but the ability to add places (waypoints) to my map allow me to accurately map a move of a person across large distances.

I have a family that I am mapping in their move west in 1850 and then return home in 1863. The added way points allow me to adjust the path to accommodate where roads etc. would have been in say 1850-1865.

It doesn't look like the RM8 mapping will provide this capability but I can hope that Family Atlas maps are improved at some point.

#110 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8541 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:24 AM

Posts removed for being off topic. 

Renee
RootsMagic