87 replies to this topic

#81 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:05 AM

Perhaps to cut down on the 'waiting time' were going to skip RM8 and go straight to RM9 :D

Joking aside sure it will be good news!

#82 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

So anything in the wind about a release date this year? Anyone else hoping the user interface will be updated/modernized?

Ted

#83 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3589 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

There is no new news about an RM8 release date other than "this year". The brief RM8 demos that people have seen at genealogy conferences suggest a much flatter, much more modern user interface. There are very few details from the demos.

Jerry

#84 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3167

#85 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:39 AM

It was nice to read the blog entry but people do need to be aware that the RM4 teasing of features lasted 8 months, I would still not be expecting a release until late 2019.

The company has faced sereral challenges I was not fully aware of, I do hope Bruce gets a chance to go back to those roots and engage more fully with the customer base, if thats even possible in todays online world.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#86 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:58 AM

What would really be useful in RootsMagic 8 is a marked upgrade to the Relationship Calculator and Reports functions.

Spence Hines

"Genealogy is an infinite binary series -- both progressively and regressively -- propagated by means of a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease, producing a 100% death rate -- which we call Life." -- D. Spencer Hines - 4 June 1997

#87 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3589 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

What would really be useful in RootsMagic 8 is a marked upgrade to the Relationship Calculator and Reports functions.

What do you see as the most needed improvements in Reports?  Just curious.

I have posted some of my most needed improvements many times. Most of them involve better control of output from Descendant Narrative reports. For example, I need all aspects of reports to be under control of Sentence Templates. This includes the spouse sentence and the children's sentences in lists of children. It includes better control of vertical white space. It includes the ability to force children with no spouses or children themselves nonetheless to be forwarded into the next generation for the Register and Modified Register formats. This includes the ability to produce lists of children that are next to the parents in all the different outline formats. I don't need it myself, but it includes the need for multiple language support. Multiple language support needs much more than just Sentence Templates. It also needs controls for things like the names of months and names of places, etc. And you need to be able to support multiple languages out of the same database at the same time, essentially having multiple Sentence Templates for each Fact Type with the ability to pick the English templates or the French templates at report time.

I need the ability to include information about spouses of spouses and half siblings. I need to include more photos inline with the narrative, not just in separate chapters in RM's Publisher facility.

Jerry

#88 Spencer

Spencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

Those are all Good Points, Jerry.

I would like to see RM8 allow me to see ALL the different ways two individuals are related when I use the Relationship Charting Function.

Currently, in RM7, only a single relationship will Chart and Print.

I'd also prefer to see all the relationships listed so I can view each one interactively and see the individual permutations.  Then I'd want to Chart and Print the ones I want on a particular day.

This can prove to be fascinating if you want to know how many different ways A is related to B --- Henry VIII to Queen Elizabeth -- or moi to Jennifer Lawrence.

Spence

"Genealogy is an infinite binary series -- both progressively and regressively -- propagated by means of a terminal, sexually-transmitted disease, producing a 100% death rate -- which we call Life." -- D. Spencer Hines - 4 June 1997