83 replies to this topic

#61 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3372 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:07 PM

Vyger: I too remenber those awful early DOS days when Bill dumped his unfinished OS on us. On current mac OS versions the command line is alive and well via the Terminal app. If you know the syntax you can easily bypass the pretty interface (I do not). 

The modern internet has made it easier to get on and to whine about problems which are basic personal ignorance. The rootsmagic forums have many folks like you who are very experienced programmers and genealogists. I am neither but as a former scientist/computer modeler do understand data quality and find the related forum comments informative.

I switched to family tree maker after MacKiev fixed it but would really like to return to Rootsmagic if Bruce ever puts out a native mac version. The crossover version is very buggy and getting little corrective support. Bruce does an excellent job with his $10 manuals--no depth but clear coverage of all the features to get you started.

thumbs-up-emoticon.jpg

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#62 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

... I am also using Family Historian as a side program as many of the features are tempting me in that direction.

I have had a deep look at FH and love it to the point I will certainly buy it after free trial but... I do not succeed in working with RM and FH together; exporting from RM to FH and reimporting to RM results to loss of (detailed) data (and when reimporting in FH again). I find source management in RM easier to manage (pure arbitrary personal preferences) but tree view and location management in FH are also what I am looking for. Photo management is also better, I wait for RM8 to decide how I handle the photos. 

My conclusion is to use RM for input and edit data and use FH to get my data to speak (especially family members who are willing to see the full tree picture).

1. The millenials want instant fixes from online sources regardless of whether they are accurate or not, genealogy in a weekend and the market seems huge.

2. Genuine researchers want more analytical and proofing tools to prove and strengthen their years of hard mostly manual work, they are few like dinosaurs.

Being a millennial and loving quick easy technology, I started with option 1, had a 3500 person tree (up to 18 generations) within a month!  

Unfortunately, having nearly no source but shared trees, I think I have about 75 people having children after death or that sort of errors (I also have a same person (birth date, death date and locations) appearing at different places with different parents). I have very often overwrote birthdates because of a slight difference but obviously same person (not knowing which one was right). The issue is the input was not tracked, nor correcting/overwriting them, I don't know what was done, checked, where it comes from and therefore can not trust anything anymore on that tree. With databases, we say "shit in, shit out": if your data entry is not qualitative, all queries and extractions will be wrong. 

So I moved to RM and, even though I would put my sources, I noticed the automatic importation of online data (Family Search, Ancestry,etc.) gets me to the same problem: I am not sure of my data and to me, reliable is a "yes or no" answer.. So the millennium guy I am ends up entering each person and fact with its sources manually, copy-pasting with reference and scanning papers with my smartphone...but my database is 100% reliable (even though some facts are not proven yet). Still, I try to take full advantage of web sources: I order birth certificates (national and abroad) online, a quarter of my tree grew in the same region  (Antwerp in Belgium) for centuries and that part is digitalised, free and online,...best of all, the data I could not get because people were still living (mainly 1st and 2nd cousins living abroad) could even be found on public profiles in Facebook and/or Linkedin! But let's face it, I could not do genealogy without internet, that would be a full time job.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#63 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

I thought that vyger's characterisation of millennials was ageist and mistakenly sweeping.  :rolleyes:

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#64 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

BonSam:

Why did you switch from reunion to rootsmagic if you found it generally better? 

I am using FTM mac but find the text very small to read well and am not happy with their source citation template interface. RM8 would be worth a try if it ever appeared. Reunion has always been panned in reviews for how it handles sources/citations but their approach seems simpler and better on trying the demo. Too bad there is no manual to read.

#65 ThreetoTwentySix

ThreetoTwentySix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:04 AM

Hi,

I've been using RootsMagic 6, then was thinking it might be time to upgrade, but noticed that RootsMagic 8 might be coming out this year.  Will they let me upgrade, or will they make me upgrade to 7 first, then 8?

Thanks.

#66 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:24 AM

Hi,

I've been using RootsMagic 6, then was thinking it might be time to upgrade, but noticed that RootsMagic 8 might be coming out this year.  Will they let me upgrade, or will they make me upgrade to 7 first, then 8?

Thanks.

http://www.rootsmagi...ore/RootsMagic/

Upgrade Protection: When you purchase RootsMagic 7 today, you will also receive a free download of RootsMagic 8 when it is released. This means that you can reserve a future copy of Version 8 at today's lower Version 7 price!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#67 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:17 AM

If you upgraded today, you would receive 2 activation keys, one for 7 and one for 8.

If you wait for RM8 release, you will not transform your 6 into 8, you will erase version 6 (the software, not your data of course) and install version 8, so you can jump versions without any issue.

An "update" is still new product, just x% reduction for existing clients.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#68 ThreetoTwentySix

ThreetoTwentySix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to guess it's safe to upgrade to 7 for now, and then just wait for 8, and I won't have to pay any extra at that time.  I'm also going to assume that my data won't be erased by upgrading.  That's what I seem to understand from the answers here and the link provided.

#69 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:44 AM

It is also possible to leave an older version of RM installed during the update process.

My laptop currently has working versions of RM3 and RM6 and RM7. No problems, given my reasons for keeping them....

#70 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:47 AM

326:

Your data is in a file separate from the program software. You need to be clear where your data file is so you are actually backing it up (OFF your computer drive). The new version may convert your data file when/if it ever comes out.

It is best to keep current on software and usually to remove old versions unless they have certain features you need.

#71 ThreetoTwentySix

ThreetoTwentySix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

Thanks all.

#72 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

For each new version of RootsMagic, make a new independent file structure with the upper level folder name equal to the version of RootsMagic.  Most modern disk drives have so much room that the potentially wasted disk usage makes absolutely no difference.

Then set the folder access in RootsMagic V8 to match the new independent file structure.  You only have to do this once in Tools>Program Options>Folders.

Then copy the current database in V7 to the newly created V8 folder for RootsMagic data files.

Run V8 and open the copied V7 data file now residing in the V8 folder.  Do a backup and verify that the new backup is in the correct folder.  Then do a Gedcom export and verify that the new Gedcom file is in the correct folder.

I rarely use photos in the Multimedia folder.  But if you have many photos in the V7 Multimedia folder, you should be able to point the Version 8 Multimedia folder back to the Version 7 location.  Or you could copy the entire Version 7 Multimedia folder contents to the Version 8 Multimedia folder.  Let another user who routinely uses extensive Multimedia comment on this.

If you have multiple disk drives [but not just named partitions] on one physical drive, direct the backup files to a second physical drive.  I suppose that you could direct backups to a normally permanently mounted USB memory stick, but I have never tried this.  I periodically do manual backups to a  USB memory stick specifically inserted for this purpose.

This procedure has worked for every new release going from Family Origins to RM1 up thru RM7.  So it will most likely work for the transition to RM V8.

#73 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 04:06 PM

I have many, many media files and folders. For a new release of RM, I always set up new folders for the database, for the backup files, etc. but I point the new release of RM to the same media files and folders as the previous release. It's hard to see any disadvantages in doing so and there are many advantages.

Jerry

#74 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:23 PM

Project Catalyst announced at WWDC 2019 seamlessly takes any program designed for the Mac IOS, etc. across all platforms. One Team. You have RM7 as an app and now it can be seamlessly added to the Mac natively. RM8 should be easily accomplished across all Apple platforms now.

I hope you have someone at WWDC 2019 attending the SWIFT programming seminars. this week.

#75 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:16 AM

I hope you have someone at WWDC 2019 attending the SWIFT programming seminars. this week.

Actually, I ~believe~ RootsMagic continues to be programmed in Delphi -> https://en.wikipedia...ki/Delphi_(IDE)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#76 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:15 AM

RLP:

you misunderstand WWDC.

Rootsmagic is only a windows xp program in a fake crossover bottle on the mac. The iOS "app" is only a reader and has no real function. No benefit here from Catalina's easier porting of iOS to Mac apps. 

#77 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

Plus I don't think RM8 is being developed using the Delphi platform. I forget the name of the platform, but I think it's being developed on a platform that allows a single code base to generate native executables both for Windows and Mac. Hence this whole wrapper thing should away with RM8. We shall see how well it works.

Jerry

#78 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

I posited that the development platform is Embarcadero Delphi, descended from the Delphi on which RM4-7 was developed. Its cross-platform capability, lacking from the earlier version, is what enables RM Inc. to offer the both native Mac and native Windows versions for RM8 (and potentially an iPad version).

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#79 KathleenL

KathleenL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

I was excited to see this item in the Roots Magic Newsletter I received yesterday:

"Stay Tuned For those who've been following our company history, you probably know that we have one last article to share that will bring us up to the present.  Watch for that wrap-up article next month as well as a special glimpse at our future. We can't wait to share it with you!"

I can only assume this means, at long last, some real information about RM 8.

#80 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Maybe it will be about RM8. Maybe it will announce the sale of the company. A "special glimpse at our future" could mean either or something else...