• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RAH00001

RAH00001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:41 PM

When you enter a county, "South Dakota, United States" County check always asks you if it should be North or South Dakota. The same with North Dakota. It allows you to put a non-existent county in your database. I've accidentally clicked on the wrong one and later found it. There is only one county "Grant" that is in both states. This seems to create more errors than it would prevent. I don't have anyone in North or South Carolina, but it probably does the same. Please fix this.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1637 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:41 AM

Turn off county check so you have control of the state you are working in.  I have done that as there are other issues that show up.  Also I do not like USA after each state.   MY choice.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3535 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:01 AM

I turn county check off because of several problems. For example, the place name format from County Check is unacceptable to me, there are numerous data problems such as the North Dakota and South Dakota thing, there are quite a few actual data errors, it works very poorly outside of the United States, it doesn't understand that some cities span multiple counties, etc. As Nettie said, it's a very personal choice whether to use it or not.

I do use RM's Gazetteer tool, but only as a resource to find information about place names, not necessarily as an authoritative source. I also use other sources of place name information, such as the US Geological Survey Web site, state and county web sites with history about their own state or county, etc.

It seems like Place Names ought to be simple, but in fact they are quite complex due to changing place names over time, due to boundary changes over time, due to political changes over time, etc. For example, I frequently find deeds registered in the "previous" county even after the "new" county has been created, simply because the "new" county's courthouse can take several years to be fully functional. And there are wars - there are always wars. Don't get me started about the Alsace-Lorraine area along the French-German border and how many times it has changed hands or about the Macedonia in the former Yugoslavia vs. the Macedonia area of Greece.

Jerry

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:54 AM

The DeLorme Street Atlas 2008 [I know it is old.] is convenient to resolve some of these problems.

1] Input a city or village then the state.  The display shows the city, COUNTY, and state along with a map.

2] Input a county and a state.  The display shows a border outline of the county in "Green."

Also, it remembers several cities/villages with  map icons.  You can see a visual picture of how close some of these places are.

As an example, if the bride was from Greenfield, Highland County, Ohio and the groom was from Washington Court House, Fayette County, Ohio,

the display will show both locations.  Then you can use the ROUTE  function to determine the distance between the two locations using modern roads.