4 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:04 AM

RootsMagic's GEDCOM output meshes extremely well with John Cardinal's GedSite and GEDCOM Publisher software. The former uses the GEDCOM to build flexible and elegant web sites; the latter constructs e-books from the GEDCOM file.

There are two real improvements that could be made. A RootsMagic GEDCOM does not include witness sentences or sentences from the Alternate name tag. I hope that this can be remedied in Version Eight.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:12 AM

I think this may already be on the list, but RM also does not include witness notes in GEDCOM output.

Jerry

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 11:25 AM

A RootsMagic GEDCOM does not include .....sentences from the Alternate name tag. I hope that this can be remedied in Version Eight.

Actually, I hope that there is a rather more substantial improvement for RM in this area. RM's back end database supports sources, media, and a note for Alternate Names and also for the "main" name. The back end data structure is no different for the two kinds of names. The RM front end user interface supports sources, media, and a note for Alternate Names but not for the "main" name. A much better approach would simply be to support multiple names, all of which support sources, media, and a note, and one of which would be marked as primary for reporting purposes. It should be easy to change which name is marked as primary. Then, all of this name data should be included in GEDCOM export. And then, RM's direct import for FTM and RM's ancestry interface via TreeShare could include all this name data. It would be a win-win-win-win type of situation for RM users, GedSite users, FTM users who wish to convert to RM, and TreeShare users.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:27 PM

Confirming that's also on the enhancement request list.

Renee
RootsMagic