4 replies to this topic

#1 Roz

Roz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:50 PM

Hi all

I was wondering if there was a way to remove or hide most of the built in sources that come with RootsMagic.  Looking through the list list, there's a good 90ish% that I know I will not be using in my tree (I'm retyping a good portion of my research to date)

Thanks

Roz

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:30 PM

There isn't a way to remove all the source templates at once. They need to be done one at a time. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

You could build your own templates instead of using the ones from RM. You could then name your own with a name that sorts to the beginning of the list. Finally, only use your own templates from the top of the list. This is my approach, and I only have 15 or 20 templates. They are all at the top of the list and they are the only ones I ever look at.

If you don't want to build your own templates, you could make copies of RM's built in templates that you want to use. Again, name the copies so that they go to the top of the list, and only use your copies from the top of the list. An additional benefit of this approach is that you can edit the copies but you can't edit the original templates. There are quite a few typo types of errors in RM's original templates - a comma out of place or a missing space, that sort of thing. If you use the original templates, you cannot correct any of those errors. If you use copies of the original templates, you can correct such errors.

I use an * as the first character of my source template names to put them at the top of the list. Most any other special character will do as well.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5931 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:37 PM

RootsMagic does not allow the deletion of its built-in source templates. Jerry's suggestion is the best workaround within the application but, if you have a number of built-in templates you have used, then you will likely want to convert the sources that use them to use the copies so that those sources benefit from any adjustments you make to the templates.

You can delete built-in source templates using SQLite on your database. You would have to be careful to delete only the templates that are not used by any source. 

Likewise, you could use SQLite to batch convert all sources using a particular built-in source template to its user-editable copy. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Roz

Roz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:11 PM

Thanks guys for you help so far.

My new hurdle is GRO issued certificates for births, marriages and deaths, not indexes