5 replies to this topic

#1 Igraffman

Igraffman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hello,

I have painstakingly gone through a few thousand media files and renamed them according to my own system and linked each one to the

appropriate individual.  The original media directory is not seen by RM so I can see what media needs to be found.  Now I am cross-checking

with the media gallery to see what media was missed,

The problem is that many of the media that have the red X do not have a name in the tags.  Some may be for deleted individuals I realize.  Is

Is there any way with RM or SQL to find this info out short of looking at the media as some is very old and has difficult handwriting to read.

Thanks!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

To check where it was connected click on Edit Tag and you should get more detail about who and where. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5931 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

The tags should show a name if attached to a person in the database. Are these media tagged to citations or places?

Perhaps you could post a screenshot to illustrate your issue. Post the image to postimages.org or other host and insert the direct link in the image widget in the forum's message editor.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:50 AM

To check where it was connected click on Edit Tag and you should get more detail about who and where. 

#5 Igraffman

Igraffman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:40 PM

https://postimg.cc/HjHCnybM

No new info in edit.  See image

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5931 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:22 PM

OK, lots of info in the image:

1. Broken media link: there is no such file with that name in the path stored in the database.
  2. Orphaned or broken media tag: the one tag is for a citation of the named source but it points to a citation record that does not exist in this database

The database therefore contains no information that can possibly reestablish the missing citation record. Should you be so lucky as to find the media file, inspection of it will give you clues to what it is for.

You could try the File > Database Tool > Delete Phantoms to see if it clears out these orphaned media tags. 

My 6-year old Delete Phantoms SQLite script is more aggressive and comprehensive but may not have anticipated this situation - it did address citations orphaned differently, i.e., those citation records for a Master Source record that does not exist in the database. Deleting citation records that are no longer tied to a person, couple, fact or event in your database should be fairly easy using SQLite.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.