4 replies to this topic

#1 Radishes

Radishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

I would like to see a calculator that would allow me to enter a name and see how old a person was when an event happened.  For example, how old was my grandfather when his wife passed away?  How old was my ancestor when a particular date or event happened? Like when he moved from one place to another.  

I've often wondered how old someone was when something else happened, such as a move, the birth of a child, a divorce, the death of a spouse.  You automatically show the age of a person when they got married, I just want a way to figure a person's age when other things happen in that person's life.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 10:30 AM

Using a fact for each event/fact you listed above in both spouses information, and have the Description field activated. You can use Death for the person and in the spouses list use death BUT state in the description field her/his husband/wife passed away.  You can add many facts to a persons list.  Some of us have created new facts/events to cover all types of items.  The calculator in RM under Tools, is mainly for use of when you only have a birth or death and have a date from another fact/event you can figure out how old or right the information is.  I use that feature a lot when checking a Death Certificate information against what I have found in other sources.  It helps to verify the both sources.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8413 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:29 PM

Use the Timeline View to see events in the lives of family members and how old they were at the time. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

I would like to see a calculator that would allow me to enter a name and see how old a person was when an event happened.  For example, how old was my grandfather when his wife passed away?  How old was my ancestor when a particular date or event happened? Like when he moved from one place to another.  

I've often wondered how old someone was when something else happened, such as a move, the birth of a child, a divorce, the death of a spouse.  You automatically show the age of a person when they got married, I just want a way to figure a person's age when other things happen in that person's life.

Your wish is like Life Capsules which are presently part of Personal Historian.

There are cross over features in different Rootsmagic programs and I often wonder if this fragmentation will continue into the future. I have NOT invested in Rootsmagic Personal Historian or Family Atlas simply as they are just a reporting tool as far as I can see and depend on a one shot import of Rootsmagic data so not interactive with the core database.

Maybe someday we will have a program with an increased cost which encompasses the features of these companion programs.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Radishes

Radishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:48 PM

Your wish is like Life Capsules which are presently part of Personal Historian.

There are cross over features in different Rootsmagic programs and I often wonder if this fragmentation will continue into the future. I have NOT invested in Rootsmagic Personal Historian or Family Atlas simply as they are just a reporting tool as far as I can see and depend on a one shot import of Rootsmagic data so not interactive with the core database.

Maybe someday we will have a program with an increased cost which encompasses the features of these companion programs.

Actually, the Timeline in RM7 as mentioned previously looks very much like what I want.  I've tried it out and it works for me. 

As far as I am concerned, all three programs serve a specific purpose and do it well.  I'm afraid I see no reason for the massive integration you seek.  I've worked with RootsMagic since the third release, and find it does a great job of meeting my needs.  I simply had not explored the capabilities of the Timeline feature until it was pointed out.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Relationships, events