Photo

Way to print report of color coded individuals?

color coding report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:35 PM

Is there a way to print a report showing individuals with the different color codes assigned?

I am using color coding to help identify research status for family members in my tree. I can see the colors in a variety of places, but have not found a way to print a report that shows a list of persons with a given color code (example - Green, meaning all currently available research hints and sources have been checked and research on the person is considered complete. [Like that will ever happen :lol: ).

I have found a work around.  I created a custom report and selected persons by field type, color coding, and color. I download this to Excel and I can create a report from there showing the codes. It's awkward but it works. However, it would be helpful, and easier, to be able to add the color coding field to either a standard report, or to a custom report, and print out a list of persons for each color code, thus the research status for all persons could be viewed by color code. This would make it easier to plan research reviews.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

You can filter many reports on a group and create a group from a colour code.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:14 PM

Reports->Lists->Individual list->People to print->Selected people->People to include->Select from list->Mark group->Select people by data fields->Color coding->is Green

Color coding can have a <is not Green> result TOO and you can <Mark group> multiple is -or- is nots

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

Reports->Lists->Individual list->People to print->Selected people->People to include->Select from list->Mark group->Select people by data fields->Color coding->is Green

Color coding can have a <is not Green> result TOO and you can <Mark group> multiple is -or- is nots

Kevin,

This is the same process I was using to get a report I could download into Excel. However, it does not "list" the color so you have to add that after the Excel list is created. Also, you have to run the report once for each color, so you can keep up with who goes with each color, and then combine them into one report. This works but takes a while to accomplish. I was hoping there was an RM report that would list the colors by person. Thought maybe I was missing something.

Thanks for the response.

Rick

RickL

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6177 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

You could use a SQLite query to get what you want. RM has to be enhanced to provide such a report. You could even connect Excel to your database via a SQLite-ODBC connection.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:20 AM

Yeah, unfortunately Color coding is not relational data... it's metadata to "style" the text. TomH is spot on about your likely best approach w/Excel.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 07:07 AM

From the point of view of doing an SQLite report, RM's color coding data is no more or less data than birth date or any other such data. Color coding is certainly metadata to human beings, but to SQLite it's just data.

I recently submitted a wish list item that color coding be a column in People View. This would be most helpful. But you can't make a real report from People View. Therefore, coding needs also to be a column in the Custom Report facility. That would probably be the best way from within RM to make the desired report.

Ironically, I have been playing recently with Gramps, which is a free and open source genealogy program. I'm not even remotely thinking of converting from RM to Gramps. The feature set of Gramps is far too limited for my needs. Rather, I was playing with trying to create a GEDCOM of my data that doesn't have any RM-isms in it. So I was going from RM to GEDCOM to Gramps to GEDCOM on the theory that the GEDCOM being exported by Gramps from data imported from RM would be cleaned of all its RM-isms.

I discovered in the process that the Gramps GEDCOM import process converts RM's color coding to a fact/event in Gramps. I found that very useful for the very reason that initiated this thread. I can make a report of RM's color coding in Gramps that I can't make in RM itself. Well, it's actually a lot easier to make the report directly in SQLite, but that's sort of beside the point. Here is a way to create a report of RM's color data without having to use SQLite.

I also discovered (or maybe rediscovered) in the process of sending GEDCOM from RM to Gramps that RM includes both color coding and AMTID (ancestry ID used by TreeShare) in GEDCOM even if RM's "Extra details (RM specific)" box is unchecked. That's because Gramps also makes RM's AMTID into a fact in Gramps. I think RM's "Extra details (RM specific)" box for GEDCOM export needs to have a number of sub-boxes that can be individually checked or unchecked and that these boxes should clearly identify exactly which "Extra details (RM specific)" are or are not being included in the GEDCOM which is being exported.

Jerry

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

Thanks to all for your comments.

Since there currently is no standard report for persons and color codes, I am going to continue following the same conventions I have used for some time now. I use color coding to identify direct ancestors, family groups, etc. This works well and provides visual queues on screen regarding those type of things. For research status, I have been using the following. I use the "prefix" field and enter codes such as "{W}" meaning "in work", "{?}" meaning problems or questions to be researched, or "{√}" meaning research is considered complete and Tree Share (Ancestry) has been updated. This works for my purposes, and I have not found any problems with using this field in this way. It does not conflict with Ancestry, and there are a variety of RM reporting options that show these codes on screen as well as in reports. The codes can be stripped if needed before giving my data to others. I'll do this until color code reporting becomes more robust.

Appreciate the ideas.

Rick

RickL

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:55 AM

You can filter many reports on a group and create a group from a colour code.

Tom,

Bingo!! This worked perfectly for what I need. Just didn't think of it before.

I created a custom report with the fields I needed, then ran it by selecting people to be included by searching for the color coding equal to what ever I am trying to report (example -"Is Yellow" = research still in work). Worked like a charm. Easy and fast.

Thanks again,

Rick

RickL