• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JCK74656

JCK74656

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:52 AM

I presently keep a little post-it or sticky note on my desktop to remind me of my use of color codes, it seems obvious to me this should be achieved within Rootsmagic somehow.

There are many possible solutions but a very simple one which would also cover other file needs would be a notepad section on a home page or dashboard where a file could carry notes. I also keep to-do items to track status of file cleaning progress so I can return where I left especially if I am away from Rootsmagic for some time, a little dashboard notepad section could also help with that.

So I guess this is probably more a wish for a dashboard which could also include various things needing resolved and links to the utilities to work these down.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1615 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:43 AM

Not interested in Sticky notes with RM.  If I do colors, it goes in my own copy of procedures on how to use RM.  Which has a copy in MSWord stored under Genealogy Procedures and a note in OneNote under Procedures.  You could use Evernote for the items if you don't have OneNote. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:17 AM

I do think RM should remember the criteria used for color coding or creating groups. But I have never pictured the remembering being as a note or text. Rather, I have pictured that RM would remember the search criteria that then could be reapplied on demand. For example, color code all ancestors of John Doe as red. Add a new ancestor, and the new ancestor is not red. So reapply red based on the saved criteria which in this case would be "all ancestors of John Doe". But you wouldn't have to know what the criteria were. You would just ask that they be reapplied.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:46 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

I use To-Do Items to record details on my colors or groups. 

Renee
RootsMagic