• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Erchenbald

Erchenbald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:18 PM

I am looking for help to get my endnotes (source citations) to include data from the Detail Text tab for a source.

To explain my problem in more detail... I have a number of multi-cite sources that I use scores of times but each use has different data in the Detail Text tab (specifically the unnamed filed next to the webtags button above the Research Notes and Comments areas). For example, one such source is "Index to NSW births" - for each relevant birth certificate that I am interested in I use this Source and simply type the index number (eg 1234/2018) into that box on the Detail Text tab. I want each different citation to appear separately in the Endnotes - eg

1. Index to NSW births, 1234/2018

2. Index to NSW births, 5678/1918

Currently, I can't get the index numbers to print.

Any suggestions?

I am a Rootsmagic newbie having been a long-term user of the now-defunct The Master Genealogist.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

The field you used cannot be printed. It's just there for your reference purposes (or any purpose you wish except for being printed).

You need to move the data down to the big box labelled Research Notes. Then when you print, go to Source Settings and enable the box labelled Print research notes with each citation.

Jerry

#3 Erchenbald

Erchenbald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

OK, thanks Jerry.

#4 Erchenbald

Erchenbald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

I tried what you suggested. The text now appears in the Citation data for the Source. But it doesn't appear in the footnote, which is what I want. I want the footnote for each citation to include this text (as well as the normal text about the source).

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:00 PM

When you are entering the source data, be sure you click the Detail Text tab. Under the Detail Text tab, be sure you enter the data into the Research Notes box. When you run the report, be sure you click the Sources box. Within the Sources box be sure you check the Print research notes with each citation option.

Jerry

#6 Erchenbald

Erchenbald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

Fantastic! Thank you so much Jerry! That has done the job for me. ;-)

Now, the thankless task of moving the data for a couple of hundred citations. Oh well, it'll give me something to do...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: detail text, source printing, endnotes