9 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:49 AM

Currently I'm adding mostly "Files", not "Images" to my media database.

I have to change the Media Type from Image to File every time.

Is there an option to change defaults with Media Type?

#2 JCK74656

JCK74656

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:31 AM

No, unfortunately there is not.

Selecting the type of media should not be necessary, the program should recognize the type of file from the extension. I am very focused on productivity and the number of clicks required to achieve particular results and this is another wasted step to me.

I almost always drag and drop media now rather that the way you are adding it, the process is much faster and became possible in version 7.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

......, the program should recognize the type of file from the extension.

That might be a good option, but if it were available as an option I would turn it off. And I would hate it is a standard behavior that I couldn't change. The reason is that I link virtually all of my media into RM as type File rather than as type Image, even if the files are JPG or PNG or something similar that is clearly an image file. There are several reasons for my choice.

• Most of my image files are documents. The RM image viewer displays images very poorly and often makes documents illegible. Therefore, I much prefer to use a standard Windows image viewer such as Irfanview. Linking the images into RM as type File instead of type Image causes RM to use an external viewer which displays images with much greater quality than does RM.
  • Using the RM image viewer open a modal window which locks me into the image until I dismiss the window. With an external viewer, in effect I'm viewing images in a non-modal window that I can leave open while working in RM.
  • If you click OK instead of cancel with the RM image viewer, RM saves the image even if the image has not been changed. JPG is a lossy format, and each save degrades the quality of the image. Image viewers in RM typically don't have this problem. Saving with external viewer still degrades the quality of the image, but exiting with an external viewer typically does not do a save unless something was changed in the image file.

I would like for there to be a way for me to set the default to File and I would change it to Image only in the rare cases where I do need the file to be an Image, such as the one and only photo of a person that will print in a narrative report. For me that would be a better solution than for RM to auto-recognize file types.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

I can only see the support issue if the default setting can be set to anything but Image. The reason is we already get people asking why there are have no thumbnails or primary images for a person, when they added them with the Media Type: File. The only option is to delete and add it again, there is no way to change it once its added. If you did not take care to check the Media Type you could very easily add with the wrong one. The way it is now it defaults to the best solution for everyone.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

There can be a way to change the Media Type individually or multiply or globally. It is just a value in the database in each media record. I wrote a script that sets the Media Type according to the extension. The program can be enhanced to support such changes. Moreover, the program can also be enhanced to create image thumbnails for all types of media that one can look at (rules out audio), e.g., pdf, doc, spreadsheet...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

For many of my PDF file links, I do a little extra work to get a thumbnail to display in RM.

I take a screencap of page one of the PDF,

Link the PDF as a file.

Link the screencap as an image.

Ta-daah !!!

#7 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the advice

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:52 PM

The only option is to delete and add it again, there is no way to change it once its added.

That's not a very user friendly restriction. As Tom said, it's very easy to make the change with SQLite and therefore it should be very easy for RM to provide a way to make the change without deleting and adding back in. The biggest problem with deleting and adding back in is that the media file might be tagged to many, many objects in RM. It can be a major pain to write down and reestablish all the tags.

Jerry

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:49 AM

Zhangrau's workaround is just that - a double-the-work-around. Double media, double tagging plus the screen capture and having to keep tags for both media in sync. All of which is obviated by having the builtin capability to generate first page thumbnails from non-image documents.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1503 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:09 AM

Zhangrau's workaround is just that - a double-the-work-around. Double media, double tagging plus the screen capture and having to keep tags for both media in sync. All of which is obviated by having the builtin capability to generate first page thumbnails from non-image documents.

I whole-heartedly agree. It's one of only a few things I do that INTENTIONALLY increases my workload.