5 replies to this topic

#1 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:34 PM

I am running RM7 on Win 10 - latest version of everything. Database has just over 1000 entries.

I create a GEDCOM file and then upload it to Ancestry along with all media.

That works fine.

I select a person in RM7 and add a single new media file.

I go into Treeshare and it doesn't immediately show that the person has changed.(i.e. a new media file added)

In Treeshare I select all entries and then select the person with the added media file.

Under general info it says there's an additional media item.

I click ACCEPT CHANGES..

It says it's uploading the new image and a green bar on the screen goes quickly to indicate 100%

Now, within a few seconds this green bar changes to show 200% !!!

It hangs in that situation and I try to cancel it. It says it is still processing. I wait a few minutes and then opt to abort it.

RM7 falls over with address exceptions.

I have run all the database tools and they show everything is clean.

It's not a huge problem but I would initially like to understand why the Treeshare facility does not recognise that I have added a new media.

And then of course I wonder about the 200% message.

Any comments appreciated.

Pop

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

I create a GEDCOM file and then upload it to Ancestry along with all media.

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I assume the sentence I'm quoting is a typo. You couldn't have transferred media from RM to ancestry with GEDCOM. You must have done it with TreeShare. Indeed, all your other comments speak of TreeShare rather than GEDCOM.

Jerry

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:00 PM

Magic_Guide_TreeShare_Ancestry_FAQ.pdf

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:11 AM

Indeed, Jerry, I misspoke.

I did of course upload the GEDCOM and media using Ancestry software. Mea Culpa!

As for my other comments, I was under the stupid misapprehension that the Treeshare software was part of RM.

I now know to the contrary.

I assume therefore any questions about not recognising that new media has been added in RM are issues for Ancestry.

The Magic Guide (thank you kbens0n) may shed light on this.

The fact that RM fell over with an addressing exception may also be due to idiosyncrasies in the Ancestry API.

I withdraw in embarrassment  :)

Pop

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

TreeShare for Ancestry is part of RootsMagic. So you are working inside of RM to share data with Ancestry. 

I'm still rather unclear on how you exactly added things to Ancestry. Did you create a new tree with TreeShare? Can you write your steps over so we can follow exactly what you were doing and where. It can make a whole lot of difference on where you are expecting to see things and are not. Included what type of media you were adding and where it is attached in RM.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 popmorgangd

popmorgangd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

Hi there. Apologies again for any confusion caused.

I logged into Ancestry and created a new tree based on an upload of a GEDCOM file created by RM.

I also uploaded all the media files to Ancestry.

I then added a  new media file (.jpg) to a person in RM.

I then clicked on the Treeshare button in RM to confirm if there was now a recognized difference between RM and Ancestry.

It indicated there were no differences,.

I then selected the person in RM to whom the new media file had been added.

Under the General Information heading it showed that there was indeed a new media file added in RM.

I clicked on the General Info to select the additional media file.

I clicked on ACCEPT CHANGES and then watched as the media file uploaded to 100%.

As per my earlier ISSUES post, the 100% then changed to 200% and remained so.

I waited some minutes.

I then cancelled out of this "200% indication" and RM fell over with an address exception.

P.S.

Just to explain - my objective is to keep my master tree on RM on my PC.

I want the copy of my tree on Ancestry to be kept up to date with RM.

I find that if I make several updates to RM, the facility to sync with Ancestry is so cumbersome that it is easier to delete the Ancestry tree and upload a new GEDCOM from RM.

Pop.