3 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

I am thinking of upgrading from my loved  RM6 to RM7 (just to be up to date) but have a couple questions after reading all I could find.  When I install RM7, does it use the same file format as RM6  like .rmgb etc.. (When I went from RM4 to RM6 everything changed).  Does RM7 overwrite RM6 or can I run them both?  As RM7 has already been in use for some years, should I maybe wait until Rm8 comes out?  I hate that learning curve so with my luck I will buy RM7 and RM8 will come out the following week..  If there is a video on how to upgrade/install RM7 can anyone provide a link so I can maybe check it out.  Thank you. 

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6266 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:38 AM

RM7 continues with the RM6 file format. RM6 can use a file created by RM7.

When you upgrade to RM7, it gives you the choice of keeping or replacing RM6, iirc.

Your call whether to wait for RM8 or go with RM7. It can be said that RM7 has matured whereas jumping into the first version of RM8 is almost certainly going to result in bug bites. Is it worth saving the $20 upgrade charge? RM8 will change the database structure from what RM6 and RM7 use.

Don't know about an u/g video...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

Is it worth saving the $20 upgrade charge? RM8 will change the database structure from what RM6 and RM7 use.

Don't know about an u/g video...

Upgrade is a very simple process, see this for what is new in RM7

Rootsmagic have been very good in in the past by offering a free upgrade to anyone buying close to a new release window afaik, but none of us know if we are close to RM8 release and I doubt RM will even talk about the possibility for fear of anticipation and frenzy :D

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:11 PM

You can set the folder structure for RM7 independent of the folder structure for RM6.

I had RM4, RM5, RM6, & RM7 folders independent of each other with all 4 versions installed.

UNTIL I installed an update for RM7 and allowed the update to delete the prior versions [but not really intended to delete them].  I don't recall ever having to go back to one of the prior versions to verify anything.  Once I upgraded to the next newer version, I made no attempts to update data in the earlier versions.  With the RootsMagic archives of older versions and the e-mail notification of installation code numbers, I could go back to try something on an older version.  But I never bothered.

With 1 Tb disk drives selling for $35 to $50, keeping stale old data does not really hurt.  If you have multiple physical drives [as opposed to designated partitions on one drive, I would suggest directing the backup files to a different physical drive then the one where the working datafile is stored.

You can also try the free feature limited version of RM7 for evaluation.  For safety sake, set the RM7 folder structure independent of the one you are using for RM6.  Either copy the RM6 data to the RM7 data folder or copy the latest RM6 backup to the RM7 backup folder.  Then do a Restore in RM7 of the RM6 backup file.  If the folder structure is set correctly, the RM7 data folder will then have working datafile.