Jump to content


Photo

Where are Data Files on a Mac


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PhilipH

PhilipH

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:22 PM

I've upgraded from El Capitan to Mojave and RM7 won't open.  I'm told I need to do a delete/reinstall.  I want to be sure I don't lose my precious data.  Does anyone know what the data files are called and where they are located in the Mac file structure?  Do they end in .rmgc or .rmgb?  Any other files I need?  What about all the media that is attached to my people?

 

Thanks for all help!

 

Philip



#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

    Advanced Member

  • Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8037 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

The database file is .rmgc

The backup file is .rmgb

Media can be store anywhere on the computer

 

A complete uninstall / reinstall of RM won't remove these files. Usually they are in your document folder.


Renee
RootsMagic

#3 PhilipH

PhilipH

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for your help, Renee.  Not sure if you were the one to respond on Facebook earlier, but between the help here and on FB, I was able to follow the youtube video produced by Bruce on uninstalling and reinstalling RM7 and it worked flawlessly.  Now I have Mojave *and* RM7 and the restore of my data went smoothly as well.

 

Thanks again!



#4 J P

J P

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:07 AM

Thank you for your help, Renee.  Not sure if you were the one to respond on Facebook earlier, but between the help here and on FB, I was able to follow the youtube video produced by Bruce on uninstalling and reinstalling RM7 and it worked flawlessly.  Now I have Mojave *and* RM7 and the restore of my data went smoothly as well.
 
Thanks again!


The key thing here is to make sure that your RM “data” files are somewhere that you control. Do this by using Tools - Program Options - Folders. The best place to use is some subfolders under your Mac Documents folder, so ensuring that all your data is well clear and independent of RM for Mac.

#5 PhilipH

PhilipH

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

Yep, that's what I did early on.  My data files are in a Genealogy subfolder under Documents.



#6 Rooty

Rooty

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

Be sure you are backing up these data files along with the rest of your stuff now that you know where they are located.

 

You are only backed up if you know what is backed up, where it is going (off your computer) and have tried to restore something from a backup.

 

Only 5% of computer users back up regularly. The other 95% are living on borrowed time and sometimes still don't back up after a data loss.