• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NeilG

NeilG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

Hello. My name is Neil and I have learned a lot on this forum in the last few years. I have been unable to find a topic which addresses my following need.

I have Research Notes that I regularly add to each Fact Citation Research Note. For example:

Birth Fact Source Citation: I add "Birth was registered by John's mother, Jane."

Marriage Fact Source Citation: I add "Marriage performed by Rev. John Maloney, C.C., and witnessed by Catherine, John's sister, and Bob Doe."

Death Fact Source Citation: I add "Death was registered by John's Father, William."

These notes appear at the end of each full footnote.

I would like to 1) speed up the process for entering theses notes, and 2) avoid inconsistencies in how I enter them (for example, sometimes I reverse the marriage note by stating the witness first, or typing some other small inconsistency. My current process is to copy and paste the sentence from one person's fact into another person's fact and then replace the person specific information. A much better method for me would to use templates.

For example, Marriage Fact Research Note Sentence Template: Marriage performed by [MarriageCelebrant], and witnessed by [Witness1] and [Witness2].

I know I can just create the template within the Source Footnote Template itself ,as an extra sentence at the end. Is that the best way to handle it? My concern is that if it is done this way and not in the Research Notes section, then I cannot edit it or delete it if I want to, for a particular person. Is it possible to have a customize Sentence ability in the Master Text Source Text, Master Text Source Comments, Detail Text Research Notes and Detail Text Comments?

Note: I am an extreme Lumper. For example, I have one source for all England Births, Marriages and Deaths. I then add the following details:

England, [VitalRecType] Registration, [Person], [EventVerb] [EventDate]; registered [RegDate], ([RegQuarter] quarter [RegYear]), [CreatorRegDist] District, vol. [SpecificVol], p. [Page], entry no. [EntryNo], [Subdistrict] Sub-district, [County] County; General Register Office, Southport.

Thank you. - Neil

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3485 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:09 PM

As you already figured out, RM doesn't support templates for Research Notes. I suppose it's possible that a future version might do so, but I wouldn't count on it.

Based on the fact that you are an extreme Lumper, I would do the following. For each Master Source in your database, I would create a dummy person. The dummy person would have an * as the last name to make it sort to the beginning of your list of people. The dummy person would have a given name of something like England Births, Marriages and Deaths. Then I would add sort of a dummy citation to the person to contain a pseudo-template or model of the desired Research Note. For example, as a model it might say Birth was registered by John's mother, Jane. As a model, it might say Birth was registered by [Person:Poss] mother, [MothersName].

With that as a setup, anytime I needed to enter a Birth source I would go to the appropriate dummy person and memorize the dummy citation. I would then paste the dummy citation where it needed to go and edit it as needed. This would not be an automated process, but it would assist greatly with standardization. If you chose to go with the model route, then replace "John's" and "Jane" with the real names. If you chose to go with the pseudo-template route, then replace [Person:Poss] and [MothersName] with the real names. It's only a pseudo-template, not a real template, so the replacement can't be automated.

Another thing you need to do is to assure the consistency of existing entries. In general, I think RM makes it remarkably difficult to get at things like lists of similar citations with similar Research Notes. It's even hard to do this sort of thing in SQLite because the Research Notes are stored inside of an XML wrapper which has to be decoded. But because you are an extreme source Lumper, I think Lists>Source Lists might do a very fine job for you. From Lists>Source Lists, pick a Master Source, enable only the Research Notes box, and click the Print button.

Jerry

#3 NeilG

NeilG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 06:53 AM

Wow, the *dummy person is a great idea Jerry. Thank you so much! This will be very helpful for the census research note citations I would like to include. Thanks again. -Neil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Templates, Sentence, Source, Citation