#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

Renee,

Just checking back to see if there is any progress or news regarding the suggested development of a utility for copying facts from one person to another in RM.

As a reminder, the following is the method I am currently using most of the time to accomplish this.

Step 1 - "share" the fact from the source person with the target person

Step 2 - create a new fact in the target person profile

Step 3 - copy field by field from the shared fact to the new fact in the target person's profile. This includes notes, sources, and media

Step 4 - remove the target person from the shared person list and save the new fact - this removes the shared fact from the target person

This can be done for multiple targets for the same fact (i.e. family members for a census record).

It is somewhat tedious but effective.

Just wondering if anything new is coming.......

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

No news, development won't give updates on specific items.

They are currently working on the native Mac version which will be RootsMagic 8. The amount of programming required to copy facts makes me suspect you won't see it until the native mac version is done. Though I cannot say if that feature will be in there. They are pretty secretive in those underground labs. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6267 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

Ok, Renee. "Underground labs" - you mean they all work in the basements of their houses?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

Ok, Renee. "Underground labs" - you mean they all work in the basements of their houses?

And refreshment shops :D :D :D

The modern world we live in......

I remember 30 years ago an IT development guy was late for my assessment of a new system. He phoned in to apologize for being late and with me already having started to play with the new POS system I told him just in passing I had noticed the GBP - EUR exchange rate conversion was incorrect. There was no break or pause in the conversation, the person going on to explain he should be there within 30 minutes.

He ended the call and signed off the call by saying "By the way that's fixed" and it was...

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:09 AM

They are currently working on the native Mac version which will be RootsMagic 8. 

Yay!

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:33 PM

Does the programming for the Mac version also compile (or whatever the term is) as  RM8 for Windows? May we look for simultaneous releases?

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Does the programming for the Mac version also compile (or whatever the term is) as  RM8 for Windows? May we look for simultaneous releases?

You likely are asking for more details than the RM developers are willing to provide at this point. I'm not familiar with the development tool they are using, but my understanding is that there will be a single source code that can be compiled with either the Windows option or with the Mac option. My understanding may not be entirely accurate or it might be slightly oversimplified. In any case, my limited understanding of the development tool they are using suggests to me that there will be simultaneous releases. But I don't think we can be assured of that until it is announced by the developers. Almost more importantly, there will be subsequent updates which raises the same question as the product moves forward. Will subsequent updates be simultaneous releases? Again I suspect so, but I don't know for sure.

Jerry

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:56 AM

Since I do not use shared facts, my way of copying a fact and source citation is:

1. Create a fact for one of the many people that will using this fact Heir as an example
  2. Add all the dates, and source
  3. While in the  Citation Manager, after finishing adding all the information,
  4. I using alt + m to copy the source
  5. Go to the next person being updated with a fact like Heir
  6. Add the fact
  7. type the dates, place and description if needed Tip: This can be copied to the clipboard [contrl C

to paste in the description field [contrl v] before going to the citation manager.

8. Click on Source box
  9. use alt p to paste the source.

My sentence template is

[Person] was named an heir <[Desc]>< [Date]> <[PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

The information in the Desc field will say

'in his father-in-law, Frank Evans's will as a security'  

So the full sentence is:

William Smith was named an heir in his father-in-law, Frank Evans's will as a security on 14 Jun 1818 in Bracken County, KY.

Family Origins had this capability but was never added to RM. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:53 AM

I do not use shared facts either (at least I no longer do), but I have found "temporarily" creating the share in RM makes it easier to see and copy all the details (shared fact and new fact will be listed one above the other once you add a date to the new fact) in the target person's profile. Otherwise you have to jump back and forth between persons to copy and then paste a field, source, media etc). I then remove the share from my data base by removing the target person from the share "witness" list. The share then goes away after the new fact has been created and saved for the target person. It's slow but it does work well, given the lack of a fact copying utility.

I'll try the source citation copying method described and see if it is any faster.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:21 PM

Yes, the development tool they are using will write the Mac and Windows version at the same time. They will be identical in features and release. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:59 AM

Renee,

Just checking back to see if there is any progress or news regarding the suggested development of a utility for copying facts from one person to another in RM.

This topic comes up from time to time and I am just wondering what facts are being copied exact person for person. I can see a Census fact being one and a Residence fact being another but as personal facts being copied exact what are other users wishing to copy?

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#12 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

This topic comes up from time to time and I am just wondering what facts are being copied exact person for person. I can see a Census fact being one and a Residence fact being another but as personal facts being copied exact what are other users wishing to copy?

I would agree that there are very few cases where I would want to copy a fact and leave the new copy unchanged. For me, however, that would not be the point. I frequently copy and paste a few lines of computer code, for example, and then make a few minor changes in the newly pasted code. That would be the primary way I would want to copy RM's facts. Indeed, I virtually never create a new RM source from scratch. Instead, I copy an existing one and change it a little bit.

I use RM's Census fact and don't use RM's Residence fact. When RM's shared facts first came out, I didn't yet realize the degree of problems there were for data interchange with RM's shared facts. So I was not inhibited from trying RM's shared facts with RM's Census fact. For the purposes of the way they look in narrative reports, no two of my census facts look exactly the same. In order to achieve this same effect by sharing RM's Census fact, I had to do so much customization that sharing RM's census fact saved me no time at all. I therefore abandoned the sharing of RM's Census fact even before I came to realize the degree of problems there were for data interchange with RM's shared facts.

That being said, for some users some of the time, I think the kinds of facts that could effectively be copied without changing the newly pasted fact would be Census, Residence, Immigration, Emigration, and anything having to do with moving (e.g., moving a whole family from Tennessee to Missouri in 1854 would not usually be described as Immigration or Emigration - I think moving is a more apt term).

Jerry

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:44 AM

I would agree that there are very few cases where I would want to copy a fact and leave the new copy unchanged. For me, however, that would not be the point. I frequently copy and paste a few lines of computer code, for example, and then make a few minor changes in the newly pasted code. That would be the primary way I would want to copy RM's facts. Indeed, I virtually never create a new RM source from scratch. Instead, I copy an existing one and change it a little bit.

I use RM's Census fact and don't use RM's Residence fact. When RM's shared facts first came out, I didn't yet realize the degree of problems there were for data interchange with RM's shared facts. So I was not inhibited from trying RM's shared facts with RM's Census fact. For the purposes of the way they look in narrative reports, no two of my census facts look exactly the same. In order to achieve this same effect by sharing RM's Census fact, I had to do so much customization that sharing RM's census fact saved me no time at all. I therefore abandoned the sharing of RM's Census fact even before I came to realize the degree of problems there were for data interchange with RM's shared facts.

That being said, for some users some of the time, I think the kinds of facts that could effectively be copied without changing the newly pasted fact would be Census, Residence, Immigration, Emigration, and anything having to do with moving (e.g., moving a whole family from Tennessee to Missouri in 1854 would not usually be described as Immigration or Emigration - I think moving is a more apt term).

Jerry

Good points as always Jerry, I was beginning to worry we had started to clone individuals :D

FTR, I do still use Shared Events especially where a mention in a Will or Obit exists, I want the person in my database and no family link is yet known. For census I have both individual and Shared events, why?, because until RM8 I won't know if Shared events are up for improvement.

I know you know this as it has been discussed before but for the benefit and consideration of others on the topic of Emigration and Immigration I have now moved to the Ancestry model of Arrival and Departure due to the definition of those terms. For example my Mother and Father moved to Canada before I was born with the intention of a new life there, they were emigrating, however they returned several years later so it was not an emigration but an extended visit. Emigration and Immigration being permanent terms they are not really accurate until the person dies in a country not of his/her birth and even then they could simply be on holiday.

Root

#14 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

Monumental Inscriptions  - I transcribe the text as seen and add it to everybody mentioned even if not buried in the plot.

#15 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

Monumental Inscriptions  - I transcribe the text as seen and add it to everybody mentioned even if not buried in the plot.

I struggle with the best way to handle this one.  For example, suppose a single inscription says "John Doe 1850-1920 and Jane Doe 1851-1928" without the quotes. I tend to memorize and paste a citation for both spouses, and for the common citation to have the same photos of the monument. It's often multiple photos - closeup and not so closeup, etc. which are all tagged to the same citation.  But then in my Burial Inscription fact for John I tend to say John Doe 1850-1920, same stone as Jane Doe. In my Burial Inscription fact for Jane I tend to say Jane Doe 1851-1928, same stone as John Doe. A truly identical Burial Inscription fact for both spouses that includes the entire inscription for both spouses might make more sense. I don't know. I have very few common stones that list more than two names - a few, but not many.

However, I also have a Burial GPS fact. If it's a common stone, then my Burial GPS fact really is exactly the same for each spouse.

Jerry

#16 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

Add to Jerry's list,  I also do Heirs mentioned in a will or in probate records. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#17 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:57 PM

I have very few common stones that list more than two names - a few, but not many.

You are very lucky, I think my record is 15and as you know I use Place Details, the association with that plot (memorial) are important indicators in many ways hence one of the reasons I keep banging on about the missing Place Details PRINT button. Customs and practicalities vary country to country and whilst the burials I have visited in USA appear to be side by side in UK & Ireland burials are stacked so maybe 12 in a double plot.

GPS the site - YES

Inscription in Citation - Logically YES

All contained in one Burial Fact - again logically YES

I say this as citation is searchable and I can't see me repeatedly wanting to print or exclude Notes in Narrative reports. Saying that I haven't always employed what I think is logical as I also want top level visibility of the Media or Text existence.

Root

#18 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

I'm not sure how many stones I have with multiple names - a few 'tens' at a quick guess. But they often have lots of info, perhaps sons / husband lost in war, a spouse buried elsewhere, occupations, place of birth etc, one mentions a disability!  I have several where the people who had the memorial erected are mentioned and 2 (from memory) where the name of person who had the memorial refurbished is shown, pretty well all cases the relationship is mentioned. Perhaps I have been lucky in this respect :-)