2 replies to this topic

#1 pkm

pkm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 07:40 PM

I just moved my RM7 from my old desktop computer running under Windows 7  to a new computer running Windows 10. I had no problems in reinstalling my registered copy of RM7 on the new computer, and restoring the Backup file saved from the OLD computer. Everything opened like a charm.

When I exited from the RM7, it showed a message box asking if I wanted to back up the Database and it showed me a FOLDER as C:/users/myname/OneDrive/Documents/filename

I didn't really know or had any reason to check this in my old computer. Now, I am getting little confused as to why or what's the relationship between RM and OneDrive? Why is it putting its database there? 

I also didn't find any options where I could assign a Specific folder of my choice. 

I'd appreciate any help you can give me about this topic.

Thank you.                      

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:05 AM

Under Tools > Program Options > Folders, you can change the location for Backup files.  

~ Debbie

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

When a folder setting under Options is undefined or invalid, RM defaults to the Windows user account's Documents folder. It would appear that your Windows setup has your Documents folder in your account's OneDrive folder.

It's ok for the backup to be in an actively synced OneDrive folder but risky for the working database file to be.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.